'I believe that stem cells..' - University of Miami, Florida

Ethan1221 1 / 2  
The application stated I could choose any topic so I decided to choose stem cell research. Please read below.

We warmly appreciate what President Obama has done with stem cells since President Bush has left the office. The decision to eliminate the restrictions on federal financing for stem cell research has in my opinion, only helped the United States. Obama's actions ended a long, miserable period in which the moral complaints of religious activists were no longer accepted into society. However, even with this open-minded attitude of Obama's, 45% of stem cell research companies will still be deprived of federal dollars. For those 45% to change to 0%, the Congress must veto a separate bill that has forced the number to stay at 45% every year since the 1990s.

Firstly, I believe strongly in stem cell research ever since the subject has been brought up by the medical world. The possibilities are endless with stem cells. Personally, to see stem cells being funded would be a pride to me because I have had many problems with my family who have not had stem cells experimented on them due to Bush's outrageous rulings in office. Mr. Genkil, my much-loved grandfather had passed away due to a cause of lung cancer however if Bush had not been so ruling and "right" then my grandfather would be alive now with a healthy and brand new lung. I believe stem cells are the way to go in medical science from this point on. So many people's lives could be saved by using stem cells therefore I thank President Obama for what he has done. President Obama's actions can potentially change the future for all of us.

Secondly, I believe that stem cells are a very easy procedure once the medical world gets accustomed to it. What is done in the procedure is quite simple. The doctor takes a few cells from an embryotic cell and creates a new body part out of cells just like babies are born. However there are a few negatives in stem cell research. Some of those negatives, Obama said, were that stem cells might not appear in our lifetime or even our children's lifetime. However scientists believe that stem cell therapies may ultimately lead to treatments to diseases such as Parkinson's and diabetes. What makes me glad to hear is that Obama accurately promised to pursue the research with urgency.

Thirdly, I believe that nobody should frown upon stem cell research. People all over the world believe that humans are harvesting embryotic cells which are babies soon to be. However I see it much differently. I see stem cells as a way of cheating any disease on earth. If one of those diseases hit one of those who do not believe in stem cells they will begin begging for this disease to just escape the body. I had experienced it third-person as I saw my grandpa. He was in a battle with lung cancer. He never believed in stem cell research and always believed it to be wrong just like abortion, however once he had starting feeling the disease kick in he was ready to do everything and anything just to get rid of this horrendous disease. Therefore I believe that funding should be done to stem cell research companies as much as possible.

In conclusion, these are the reason I believe stem cells should be funded as much as possible and how it can help humans in the future. I thank President Obama for what he has done for stem cell research however I am very sad to hear him say that I will not reach the stage when stem cells are being used. There are many companies that are researching stem cells and such research is one encouraging way to learn how diseases develop and how to formulate the best treatments for these diseases. Personally, I believe congress should monitor President Obama's principal and lift this ban so that stem cells researchers can benefit from a mixture of federal dollars and donations.
Obama's actions ended a long, miserable period in which the moral complaints of religious activists were no longer accepted by society.

For those 45% to change to 0%, the Congress must veto a separate bill that has forced the number to stay at 45% every year since the 1990s.

Firstly , I believe strongly in stem cell research, ever since the subject has been brought up by the medical world.

Personally, to see stem cell research being funded would be a pride to me because I have had many problems with my family who have not had stem cells experimented on them due to Bush's outrageous rulings in office.---This really does not make sense.

Mr. Genkil, my much-loved grandfather,had passed away due to a cause of lung cancer.

However if Bush had not been so ruling and "right" then my grandfather would be alive now with a healthy and brand new lung.---This is absolutely not true. Stem cell research has not come anywhere near this far. You should not state things like this as fact.

I believe stem cell research is the way to go in medical science from this point on.

In conclusion, these are the reason s I believe stem cell research should be funded as much as possible and how it can help humans in the future.

Good luck with school!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'I believe that stem cells..' - University of Miami, Florida