Beloit - the words describe you --- avoid using dialects?

aona105 7 / 38  
Hi :)
This is my answer to Beloit College Supplement. There're 3 questions but I haven't done one of these, and this is it. I'm worry if I misunderstand what they mean, and I know it's not a good answer. Should I avoid using dialects (I'm from Japan) ?? What should I do to improve this??

Please, ANY COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS / CRITICISMS ARE WELCOME !!! :) Thank you !

Beloit's viewbook describes our college with words and phrases intended to give you a sense of place and being a Beloiter and may be unexpected: 'inspiring,' 'attitude,' 'frontier,' 'like nowhere else,' 'turtles,' 'double major (not uncommon),' 'swoon,' 'real people,' 'responsibility,' 'confusion,' 'DNA,' 'venture,' 'entrepreneurial,' 'tight-knit,' 'hands-on,' 'wry,' 'live.'

What words or phrases describe you or your life? No essay required, just words.

'Uchinanchu (Okinawan),' 'inner passion,' 'curious,' 'loving nature,' 'quest,' 'explore the world first-hand,' 'pioneer,' 'limitless,' 'optimist,' 'no music, no life,' 'persistent,' 'visionary,' 'earnest,' 'adventurous,' 'enjoy challenges,' 'indomitable spirit,' 'pride of identity,' 'keen traveler,' 'cross-fertilization,' 'defiant of circumstances,' 'thrive adversity,' 'aspiring,' 'Yuimaru (mutual cooperation),' 'my own way,' 'not lose sleep over,' 'blessed.'

max 400 characters and it's 412 now.
I have to cut some words...
ukkuma 3 / 40  
Hi!!
You're applying to Beloit! I was going to apply too, but found out it wasn't affordable... :(

Okay, so, comments.
I think dialects are fine, so long as you put the meaning in brackets (which you have), and it's unique. It should catch the reader's eye anyway :)

Hmm, about the character limit...try find synonyms and cut either one. For example 'keen traveler,' 'quest,' 'explore the world first-hand' are kind of similar in meaning, I think. Maybe you should just cut 'quest'. Oh and I was wondering, what do you mean by 'not lose sleep over'? :0
OP aona105 7 / 38  
Hey, thx so much for your comment!!! :)

oh really? but you gonna apply to Amherst, right? it's really awesome!! you might be smart indeed :)

thanks, yeah, you're right! I'll cut some synonyms! ^^
um,,, about 'not lose sleep over', I didn't know what to say and just picked up it from my Japanese-English dictionary :P maybe that's why it's strange. I meant that 'never continue to cry or be negative when something bad happens to me'... you know, "kuyo-kuyo-shinai" :} how can I say that in English ? I just couldn't find it and I have no vocabulary X(

were you able to understand other words ???
ukkuma 3 / 40  
No prob!
eh, no, no really...I don't know why I applied to Amherst. I'm not even a straight-A student. I must have been out of my mind lol. By the way, I applied to Oberlin, Bates, and a bunch more. I love Oberlin now :)

ooh, "kuyo-kuyo-shinai!" You mean like "fukusui-bon-ni-kaerazu?" I think that's "it's no use crying over spilt milk" in English. I did find the 'don't lose sleep over...' sentence too. Oh, found another way of saying "kuyo-kuyo-shinai." It says, 'don't sweat the small stuff.' Maybe you could try that sentence?

yup, I understood the other words^^
Ravindhar - / 1  
hello friends ,
I am searching for Ph.D research topics in HR area please if anybody knows it give me some topics in HR area (software industry) ....i hope you can give sugestions on this my dear friends.
OP aona105 7 / 38  
@ukkuma
hey you must be kidding! I know you're smart :} cause I can see your English skill is awesome!
wow, Oberlin is also wonderful school, isn't it ?! I heard that it has great international community:)
I'm applying to Bates, Beloit, Cornell (IA), and three more schools. I have two supplement essays left, Beloit and Cornell. I gotta finish all of my application till the end of this month XP

thx for your help!
yeah, the second one exactly! "don't sweat the small stuff", that's it! thank you so much ~~~ ^^

okay so I'm gonna finish it and complete the form soon, thanks to you!!
I'll make another thread, which is also a part of Beloit supplement. Would you please check it if you can, but really, you don't have to, I know you're also so busy now!! :) and I'm always ready to check yours though my English is not so good XD anyway, thx again!!
mariatateno 6 / 35  
いいんじゃない? i agree with the above, some phrases are similar so don't put all of them in cause they get a bit repetitive.
がんばって!
私も日本人だよ
please take a look at my essays!! ASAP :)
OP aona105 7 / 38  
thanks for your comment!

hey !!! A Japanese student planning to apply for the colleges in the US ?! sweeeet! :) やったー仲間だー^^

are you also took the exam of Grew-Bankroft scholarship ???
are you from international school??? you seem like a native English speaker like ukkuma! oh I envy you guys ^^

お互い頑張ろうね*

Home / Undergraduate / Beloit - the words describe you --- avoid using dialects?