Where do I belong? My broken race.

BriannaM 1 / 1  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

I belong to the twenty-inch weaves and Luis Vuitton bags. I belong to the girls that walk down the street with crop tops, leggings and Ugg boots, and to the boys who wear True Religion jeans and the newest Jordan's; this is where I belong, my race. I look around and feel ashamed by what my people have become. They've become obsessed with name-brand clothing, straight hair, and money, but they haven't looked at the big picture: the future. They're stuck in what's happening right now. Young boys are getting arrested everyday, and young girls are getting pregnant. I go to the store and see girls my age, sometimes younger or a year older, who already has a child. I see the older generation shaking their heads at us, expecting us to fail and become nothing. I walk around with my younger cousin in the store and people think that I'm her mother. I'm bound to fail according to the older generation, especially the older, Caucasian generation. I worry everyday for my younger brother because I have to make sure that he didn't get snatched off the street by a police officer accusing him of what he didn't do. And I also have to worry about myself, the way I dress is the way people will treat me. My people walk around with loud rap music, sagging pants, long weaves, stiletto nails, and bad English. People are shocked at the way I speak and handle myself, but only because they're used to what they see on a regular bases. I'm pressured to get a weave, to go buy revealing clothing, twelve-inch heels, and a tight dress because that is what my race wants me to be. I belong to my race. I belong to the broken, African-American race.
This is a very heart felt and timely statement Brianna. It touches the heart and begs us to wonder why there is a generation of Americans, forget the hyphenation, who are lost. However, you spent so much time describing your community and the people that belong to it that you failed to develop a description about how you fit into the community. Are you trying to be a game changer? You mentioned sounding different from the others, why is that? Talk to us, take us into your world and how you are trying to take yourself out of it for your betterment. That is the best way to answer this paper. That is where you fit into this world.
OP BriannaM 1 / 1  
Thank you very much! I revised it and added myself to it like you said. I really appreciate this!

Home / Undergraduate / Where do I belong? My broken race.