I belong to the gallant men of the world who move; UPENN's suplemental essay

QUANSAH2 1 / 1  
Ben Franklin once said, " All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move." Which are you?

I belong to the gallant men of the world who move. Their movement is not controlled by circumstances and neither is it hindered by impediments on the way. They are those who by intuition set their whole being to fire, full of zeal to achieve a purpose.

To the best of my understanding, those who are movable and immovable in our world lack that fundamental ability, which I call self- propelled motion. This is a kind of motion stimulated from within an individual. When three people from the three classes of man are left in a room full of filth, they will each demonstrate a certain attitude.

Both of the immovable and movable individuals will sit in the filth and do nothing to get rid of it. They can even study under such a condition. However, when an outsider enters the room and promises them a reward if they should clear the rubbish, the movable person rises up to the call. However, the immovable person, who is not moved by what others do to steer him in the right direction remains seated.

Finally, there is the person who moves; the third of the three. He or she is disciplined and matured enough to act by his or her own intuition. Such a person will immediately get rid of the filth without being persuaded to do so. This person does not wait to be called upon to do anything beneficial, but will inspire himself to do it.

Mahatma Gandhi's statement that, "be the change you want to see" has always been my axiom. I prefer to always bring new things on board to change lives and be called the progenitor of that action.

This attitude of moving has helped me to gain some positions especially in the boarding house in high school. I was made my room's coordinator in charge of the cleanliness and discipline. I 'moved' to begin a general clean-up exercise within the room and its environs.

Furthermore, I took an initiative to heat water in a new way in the boarding house. Due to the restriction my school placed on the use of electronic gadgets including the electric heater, we had no other option than to drink our coffees cold. However, one morning, I reasoned that since electric irons were allowed, I could use the heat produced to heat my coffee. By placing my metallic cup filled with water on the iron, I was able to heat water for my coffee. My roommates began to use this method of heating and it spread through my house.

As an individual belonging to the category of men that move, I motivate myself to do anything I set my heart to do. With this attitude, my motion can never be hindered by any person for I never wait to be moved before doing anything. However, this does not mean I am incorrigible. On the contrary, I allow more room for constructive criticisms that "move" me in the right path.
Their movement is not controlled by circumstances and neitheris it is hindered by impediments on the way.

.... I think now it sounds better : )

They are those who by intuition set their whole being to fire, full of zeal to achieve a purpose.

.... this is a strong sentence :)

As an individual belonging to the category of men that move, I motivate myself to do anything I set my heart to do.

.... you'll have a bright future!

I think you've answered it very well. You display lots of creativity in your writing and I enjoyed every line you wrote.
Wish you good luck!
OP QUANSAH2 1 / 1  
Can u please give me your email?
nairbear68 6 / 29 6  
Nicely done! Including that part about the innovative heating method is very good.

However, when an outsider enters the room and promises them a reward if they should clear the rubbish, the movable person rises up to the call. However, the immovable

try to use a different word than however, because you use it twice in a row

act by his or her own intuition.

do you mean initiative? the word intuition does not make much sense here
otherwise, very nice :)

please help me with my essay to if possible, it's the letter to a future roommate one~

Home / Undergraduate / I belong to the gallant men of the world who move; UPENN's suplemental essay