How can i benefit from my education at the american university in cairo (AUC)?

shadia 1 / 1  
How can I benefit from the education at AUC?

Which country are you planning to study in? Are you going to the UK or the USA?
Have you applied for universities in Canada? The best education is in UK? If you attend university at the USA you can well continue to live there. This is an example of what I have been bombarded with from my friends and some family members. I felt I was directed to think and choose a university in that direction. I started my search for universities at the UK, USA, Canada and other countries in Europe, forgetting about everything I really dreamed of or wanted. The alarming moment hit me on the day we visited the AUC with school. I discovered this is where I want to be. Let me tell you the story from the beginning. It all started when I was a little kid playing at my grandparents' house and saw their engagement photos and diaries. I found a newspaper clipping about how they met. Grandma told me that this is the AUC Caravan as they both were AUCians and this is where they met. I went on to ask my grandma why they went to this university and why did they choose it. Her words were very profound in describing the quality of education offered at AUC and also her pride in being an AUCian made me believe that I too must become an AUCian. Additionally, she went on, with glamour of honor and conceit, telling me about her aunt, Mrs. Eva El-Masry, who was the first female to attend to AUC. She explained to me that this is how important her family took education, in the times where "girls' university education" was not important. In my mind and soul, it was engraved that AUC is the best; especially to be chosen by this family that cherished education and sent her girls to get their degrees from abroad yet they chose this university to one of its girls. My mum came next; she and my aunts are all AUCians. Of course, her words stick to my head that she went to the best university in town, her parents helped her to get the best and she was so lucky, among her friends, to afford it. She works in a multinational in a regional leadership role and has always attributed this success for being an AUCian. This is the background I wanted to set before I explain how I can benefit from my education at AUC.

I had just turned 15 when the Jan 25th revolution broke out. I believe I was a kid thinking that my biggest problems occur when my PSP is not working. My whole world revolved around my teen life. Standing in the "neighborhood committees" or legan sha3beia to protect our homes from thugs at that time, seeing thugs being killed or beaten and hung to trees, facing gunshots and the panic that accompanies attacks and feeling responsible to protect my mother and sister as their man all made me see the life beyond my comfort zone. Losing a friend who "innocently" went to cheer in a football match and was killed cold bloodily made me see that there is more to stand up for. There are values, principles and rights that we should not either take for granted or let go whenever challenged. I have lived harsh and bitter times; I have seen people killed, mothers morning their children and kids orphaned. Maneuvering with criminals and collecting money to pay a ransom to get our neighbor back after being kidnapped, witnessing the horror on the face of my friend's parents until thugs released their son after paying them ransom. Yet, I believe I am fortunate to experience this tough time that no matter what I could read or hear or read on news would have made me the person I am today. I value and cherish my life in this country. I know the price paid to make it a better place and I will not just quit and leave my home. Now, I have the answer to the questions in my first lines; I am staying in Egypt, I am not leaving my country. This is exactly how I can befit from my education at AUC. In my country, I have the quality education with the multicultural environment; I have what it needs to become a well-educated man; one who can contribute in building this country and in contributing to better life for the coming generations.

Being a player in Heliopolis Sporting Club Water-Polo Team, I have managed since I was 9 years old to cope between my passion for sports, my education and my social life. I have developed stamina being forced to train late at night or at dawn, when it's sunny or when it's raining, on holidays or during exams, when sick, tired or when well. This had taught discipline, perseverance, responsibility, the value of time and to be organized and a team player. Only by being a coherent team, we managed to win first place on national level and to compete on the international level as well. This perseverance I developed and as a sportsman, I challenged my fear of heights and succeeded to jump off a 30 meter zip line and to complete the high ropes course in one of the sports summer camps I attend. With the same passion, I intend to challenge the trend of "quitting" on the country and choosing the easy way of going to universities abroad. I will stay to make it a better place. I already took my first step towards my goal of serving my society. I have joined "Beyond" which is a community service organization which takes us on weekly visits to orphanages, to slums and to hospitals. We study individual cases and set plans to support and improve their conditions. Some cases are really pathetic but we learn to deal with them by planting seeds of hope and love. I believe that as an individual, I can cause change by the little things we do. I also believe that education will be my gate to enforce change. Participating in MUN this year has opened my eyes to how else we can serve our community, how can we fight for our rights and protect the rights of those who can't. I have met people from around the world sharing the same vision; making the world a better place to live in.
. I started my search for universities at the UK, USA, Canada and other countries in Europe, forgetting about everything I really dreamed of or wanted. The alarming moment hit me on the day we visited the AUC with school. I discovered this is where I want to be. Let me tell you the story from the beginning. It all started when I was a little kid playing at my grandparents' house and saw their engagement photos and diaries. I found a newspaper clipping about how they met.

I set my priority for the location of the university above everything else and without realization that I should have given more consideration for my passion.

Well the above passage confuses me. You say that you began your search for colleges and then you talk about your kid years. From the first part we get the impression that you are a young student looking for colleges and the second part contradicts that impression. You need to work on that :(
OP shadia 1 / 1  
well what i meant to highlight is:
1- there is a trend of going to univeristies abroad - taking into account the politocal situation and the cost of education
2- my initial dream was to go to AUC- since i was a child
3- i want to stay

Home / Undergraduate / How can i benefit from my education at the american university in cairo (AUC)?