What are the benefits of having a diverse educational community?

yoyopow 1 / 1  
The benefits of having a diverse educational community vary within the community itself. Through interactions with diverse students, other students attain knowledge about other ethnicities' cultures and morals. Although diversity does not only include race, it also includes people of different social economic statuses, people with disabilities, and peoples' preferences of sexual orientation. As a result, diverse interactions encourage people to participate in more incongruous environments. From personal encounters within my community I have learned to be more willing to accept people of different backgrounds and beliefs. With that said, as I begin my journey to attend a major college and pursue a career, I will take the knowledge that I have obtained and apply it for when I meet new people on campus and in the work force. By doing so, I believe that wherever I end up in life I will not only be able to communicate with people of different backgrounds more efficiently, but also I will be able to respect them for who they are and their morals. Since I am very accepting of diverse people, I believe that Virginia Tech will be a perfect fit. Virginia Tech will allow me to meet and interact with students from a variety of nations. It will not only enhance my knowledge of other nations, but will also help me to have a better understanding of the world and different types of people that it holds. In conclusion, diversity in educational communities is beneficial in that it teaches students to be more willing to interact with people who may seem unusual and different.

-This essay is for the undergraduate admissions at VT. It needs to be no more than 250 words. I don't know what else to write though????
demuredelight 2 / 22  
Hey Rob, I think that you can write this essay in a more personal way. The first paragraph sounds quite general and anybody could produce it after he does some research. But if you start with a personal account and highlight what diversity has brought to you, it will better indicate your personality and quality. Have you any experience of being in a diverse community? Have you been overseas? Any particular incident that make you see the world in a different perspective?
OP yoyopow 1 / 1  
Xinran,

Thanks for the reply! I have never been overseas, but two of my friends are from overseas. One from taiwan and another from Sudan.
demuredelight 2 / 22  
Hey, big improvement!
In conclusion, diversity in educational communities is beneficial in that it teaches students to be more willing to interact with people who may seem unusual and different from me. (trust me, 'unusual' sounds offensive to foreigners.)

Home / Undergraduate / What are the benefits of having a diverse educational community?