"Benvenuti in Italia!" - A part of who I am is Capri, Italy - FSU 2015 Summer Essay

Laurenm14 2 / 3  
Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeals most to you and why?

"Benvenuti in Italia!" This statement was echoed among the people of the beautiful Capri, Italy. This was my first time visiting Europe and only my second time out of the country. As soon as I saw the crystal waters, I knew I had fallen in love with the small yet shimmering island of Capri. Among the cobblestone paved roads were tiny finches who chirped in a glorious harmony. As I walked, they followed me up the hills onto a narrow street surrounded by beautiful bright white abodes. There, I encountered a young boy who was savoring the last few bits of his lemon gelato. He seemed so captivated by the fact that I have never had gelato and persisted that I should try it. I had the most delicious and refreshing gelato in a small shop in Capri. This was among my many firsts in this beautiful city.

"Ciao! Ciao! Buon giorno!" These were the first words I learned in Capri and I said it as often as I could. I started picking up on the foreign words and even the fashion. I purchased my first silk scarf and wore it around proudly. This culture was inspiring and enchanting to me because of the essence of unfamiliarity. As I bent over on a small boat to fit into the opening of the Blue Grotto, I was hypnotized by the glowing blue waters. At that very moment I realized that I was craving more. I was craving even more opportunity, adventure, and discovery. I wanted to stay and absorb more of Capri and what it offered but unfortunately I had to return home. The images of the sparkling waters, cloudless skies, and enthralling language will always be a part of me and molded how I view the world. I view the world as undiscovered and full of opportunities for self-exploration. Italy was a piece in the puzzle of my journey of self discovery that I embarked on in Capri.

Florida State University is my primary choice due to many reasons but especially their opportunities to become globally aware. Reading the "Nole Reservations" blog only served as reassurance to my decision to apply to Florida State as my top choice. The ability to offer students familiarity with a different culture is so impactful and a truly beautiful experience. A part of who I am is Capri, Italy. Just from that one vacation, I found a big part of myself. I found my passion for traveling and my determination for success. Florida State University's International Programs will help me continue on my path to self discovery and fuel my passion and determination. I believe that these programs are much more than an opportunity to study in a different country, I believe that they are and opportunity to discover yourself. Looking at the scarf

tied around my bed post, I realize that there is so much more to the world that I am not aware of yet. Florida State can help satisfy this wanting for further global and self awareness.
Shaimaa 2 / 6 1  
I'm a beginner,so my comment may be wrong.
You used a lot of different words & expressions to describe how beautiful was Capri.But in fact I didn't understand the relation between the beautiful Capri & your choice of Florida State University.
Modewap 16 / 70 13  
Laure, Nice essay ;) but I think your essay didn't answer the prompt. ''leadership, services, leaning, etc of these characteristics appeal to you most''.

Your essay only focus on how you know about FSU. I will suggests you write. :(
Kasamira 5 / 12 7  
Yes, your essay is very well written and descriptive. I like how you incorporated your story into the end with the silk scarf. I would add a bit more about FSU in your first two paragraphs so that it's not simply telling a story and so you are better able to tie the University in with your story. Then if you can (I don't know the word limit) I'd add a bit more at the end about FSU so that the length is more equal to your story. Expand more on FSU's International Programs and the experiences they offer, and extrapolate on the Nole Reservations blog- give specific examples so it doesn't feel generalized.

Your last sentence, "Florida State can help satisfy this wanting for further global and self awareness." sounds a bit cliche- make it a bit more personalized- don't make such a general statement. Say something about their how their global awareness would extend to your studies there and how their self awareness would affect you.

I really liked your essay, I hope you get in :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Benvenuti in Italia!" - A part of who I am is Capri, Italy - FSU 2015 Summer Essay