"we will be the best of friends" - Dear roommate stanford

ddori92 2 / -  
[b]Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear roommate

I want to first tell you what I found out about myself just a few days ago-that I am funny. I knew when I say something, people around me laugh, but until now, I couldn't link those two dots then that they were laughing because of me.

So I analyzed for a while what can possibly make me a funny person. I feel uncomfortable to be in a situation where the atmosphere is filled with awkwardness, depression, and hostility. So I think when I get into this kind of situation, my defense mechanism of playing the clown kicks in and somehow make a statement that lightens the mood. Maybe to my friends, my defense mechanism might have been seen as funny. I learned to control my mechanism and become a good listener when my friends want me to that I think now everyone consider me as one of the most comfortable guy to talk to in my school.

I believe that laughter is one of the most important things that bonds friendships stronger. Something that worries me is that you won't be able to find me funny because a lot of laughter comes from you understanding the cultural context in which I am creating the joke out of. But I think trying to make you laugh will be a great opportunity for me to get to know you better and in this process we will be able become friends who knows each other the best. And finally, when I make you laugh and you make me laugh, I believe we will be the best of friends.
livedreamfly3 3 / 30  
I want to first tell you what I found out about myself just a few days ago-that I am funny.

not very believable, if you only found out recently.

overall, i don't really get a sense of who you are. there are plenty of people out there that have the same mind set as you.

I suggest a different angle, completely. (sorry for the harshness!)

***PLEASE EDIT MY COMMON APP! GOOD LUCK! :D
closethefridge 1 / 6  
I kind of have to agree with the above.. You focus on one aspect of yourself far too much, if youre writing a letter for people to get to know you, it should cover a little more. parts of it seem a little awkward, i would try a new approach.

Home / Undergraduate / "we will be the best of friends" - Dear roommate stanford