"the best time of his life (of my father)" - Cornell Engineering Supplement

minusaccount 1 / -  
College of Engineering:
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest. (Max 500 words)

My father said that during his time in Cornell was the best time of his life. Unfortunately, time in Cornell only lasted for a year because the President of South Korea at that time commanded all Korean students studying abroad to return. My dad loved rock music when he was in Cornell. Music and friends, he said, were two things that were essential for him to enjoy life in Cornell, because academic loads were heavy. He told me how he would listen to records of Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin with his friend and relax when he was burned out because of studying.

He wanted to help other people get through obstacles in their life, which could've been tough academics, tough manual labor, or tough environment, because there were countless cases of engineering helping him, such as listening to music; music reproduced through music technology relived his academic stress. Just like him, I want to study electrical engineering to help others to get through obstacles in their lives, especially through music technology.

Cornell for me is a perfect place for me to learn electrical engineering.
I know that this curriculum could provide torrents of application in music technology because of diversity of senior design projects. I've seen guitar tuner to MIDI controller. Not only that, but also I can also join student teams to do extra projects related to music technology. Engineering is about turning ideas into reality. I think Cornell curriculum, from the things I've seen, can turn my ideas into reality.
Planet_14 4 / 11  
I think you idea of representing this essay through your father story is good, but I think that you should be talking about yourself. After all Cornell want to know about you - not your father.

I like the first part that you tell Cornell that you have something relate to Cornell, I think all Ivy leagues even have a space to let you put a name of any relatives you have that have been into their school.

Well, my suggestion is to talk more about yourself. Why you're here applying into an Engineering field and why does it have to be Cornell?

Home / Undergraduate / "the best time of his life (of my father)" - Cornell Engineering Supplement