Beutiful, but misinterpreted Quote; Furman Essay/QUOTE

hpdwnsn95 3 / 4  
-"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
In 250 words or less, describe how this quote applies to your life

If you search "Ralph Waldo Emerson" on the blogging website, Tumblr, half of the posts that show up in results are pictures with the quote "Do not go wear the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." If you walk into an English teacher's classroom, you might see this quote on a poster, or in curvy script above their desk. If you mention this quote in a room full of people, many of them will say that they love that quote, that it really is such a wonderful quote. Yes, the quote is beautiful, but it is also highly misinterpreted in my opinion. Many people believe that it is a challenge to be different, to stand out from the crowd. So they might like an unknown band, or wear their hair a little differently. Maybe they prefer folk music to pop, or would rather go to a poetry reading than a movie. True, they may be different within their immediate group of friends, but in a world of 7 billion people they are probably not so different. Instead of interpreting Emerson's famous quote as a call to be different, I believe it is a call to be a leader instead. It is a challenge to lead the way! Some people may follow you, some people may not, but the important thing is that you are leading. So what if I organize the same bake sale I did last year? I am still leading.
moon05 13 / 133 20  
Do not go wear the

Wheredon't spell one of the words in the quote incorrectly!

That's it, by the way you don't get to see someone frequently making a new meaning out of a quote whereas you brought out a good one!!

Home / Undergraduate / Beutiful, but misinterpreted Quote; Furman Essay/QUOTE