"biological evolution at a molecular level" Why your academic field?

prepies04 5 / 12  
Why are you drawn to the academic fields you indicated in the Anticipated Degree and Academic Interest questions above? (1000 characters)

I intend to study biological evolution at a molecular level. I'm enthralled by the wonderfully complex and sophisticated nature of living systems. That they are the fruits of 3.8 billion years of natural selection inspires me with awe. My fascination grew deeper through the hands-on experience with Professor Ballentine. Furthermore, I desire to learn what science, especially biology, can teach us about how to live our lives, hence my interest in philosophy. Many suppose that science and morality are mutually exclusive, but I believe otherwise. For instance, I have not consumed meat since I realized humans and other animals are all part of ...

...

Please offer stylistic, structural, and grammatical corrections. Thank you all.
aiswim 4 / 28  
Overall, your first one is really solid.
The only thing is:
"That they are the fruits of 3.8 billion years of natural selection inspires me with awe."
I think you should change "inspires me with awe" to simply, "inspires me" or "is inspirational." Otherwise, it seems a bit redundant. But that's just my opinion.

For your second one, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to write about that in the "additional information" section. As far as I know, that section is for additional extracurriculars and academic honors. But if someone told you to do that, then by all means go for it.
OP prepies04 5 / 12  
Carleton Short Answers subject/teacher/why carleton

Name the secondary school teacher who has most influenced you and briefly explain why.

Teacher Name

I have been assisting Dr. Ballentine's research on the evolution of swamp sparrow subspecies since December 2009. The hands-on experience has bolstered my fascination with biological evolution.

What subjects most interest you and why? (Note: This is not a commitment to major in this area.)

I'm enthralled by the wonderfully complex and sophisticated nature of living systems. That they are the fruits of 3.8 billion years of natural selection inspires me with awe. My fascination with evolutionary biology grew deeper through the hands-on research experience with Dr. Ballentine. Evolution is humanity's most reasonable attempt to explain what we are and why we are here.

Do you have a tentative (or firm) career plan (or dream)? Please describe it.

I believe science, especially biology, can influence our moral choices. For instance, after I realized humans and other animals are all part of the evolutionary continuum, I reasoned it is wrong to ignore the interests of other species-I have not consumed meat since then. I want to be a scientist who delivers to the public the philosophical and ethical implications of scientific findings.

Why are you interested in Carleton College and how did this interest develop?

I first learned about Carleton through my brother, who is also applying this year. Carleton's strong science department in a liberal arts setting makes it a perfect place to satisfy my intellectual curiosity in both the sciences and the humanities. I'm also drawn by its diverse student body.

From your reading, whether children's books or classics, what books or authors have particularly impressed you and why?

My favorite reading is a short story titled "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" by Sherman Alexie. The story is about Jackson Jackson, a homeless Spokane Indian who goes on a quest to earn a thousand dollars to redeem his grandmother's stolen regalia at a pawnshop. When I read the story, I want to be Jackson. He is an alcoholic whom most would consider as a "failure," but it is precisely his carefree and optimistic character that I envy. It is the same quality I appreciate from my Welsh friend Jon.

If you would like to report additional information to Carleton that you did not report in the Common Application additional information section, please do so here.

How to Pronounce My Family Name

My last name is pronounced 'Koo' with a silent G. When my father was studying in the mountains of West Virginia, he spelled his last name as 'Goo'. He didn't like it because it "sounded too low," but he also didn't fancy 'Koo' because it "sounded too high." After a brief spell of ingenuity, my father decided to stick in both letters, hence the unpronounceable surname. The advantage is that because nobody knows how to pronounce it, it serves as an icebreaker when I meet new people. They ask me how to pronounce it, and I tell them this story, eliciting laughter, or perhaps pity. The downside is nobody knows how to pronounce it.

These all barely meet the character limits.
dlanki - / 24  
wow. these are well written and concise. a minor edit.

the fact that they are the fruits of 3.8 billion years of natural selection, inspires me with awe.

Home / Undergraduate / "biological evolution at a molecular level" Why your academic field?