Biology - Cornell Supplement (intellectual interests, why exciting, & how to pursue)

lmongado 1 / -  
This is my supplement for Cornell College of Arts and Sciences 2015:

The Language of Biology

Describe two or three of your current intellectual interests and why they are exciting to you. Why will Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences be the right environment in which to pursue your interests? (Please limit your response to 500 words.)

If the sun shined bright in the sky, then little five-year-old me could be found exploring the woods with a magnifying glass, curiously studying the critters on a tree. If rain poured down, then five-year-old me could be found inside watching a film with unwavering attention (to my parents' dismay). As I grew up, these simple activities of venturing outdoors and watching movies developed into a fascination with biology and an interest in film; both of which I have pursued in my academics and extracurriculars.

The natural world and the creatures it holds always inspired wonder in me, and learning about the science behind these wonders always sparks my imagination. It amazes me how complex organisms could be broken down and studied by their organ systems, chemical makeup, and more understandable scientific languages. The aspect of biology that delights me the most is that to explain any perplexing phenomenon in the natural world, the scientist does not need to have all the knowledge, only the scientist needs to be observant. That said, there are vast forests and deep caves in which biologists have not thoroughly observed the hidden life, leaving myriad mysteries to be discovered.

As I grew up, I became increasingly interested in the human body and the science behind medicine. Human biology intrigued me--the complexity of the brain, the process of healing--but medicine intrigued me more--the development of vaccines, the treatments for cancer. I believe that the human and the body is the last puzzle to be solved and that medicine is the key.

While the world is wondrous with its awe-inspiring people, creatures, and lands, not all of it is easily accessible to everyone. The greatest aspect about film is how it is a medium for everyone. Even people in remote areas have access to movies nowadays. Film portrays the potential of mankind, when people can be at their worst and when people can be at their best. While books can accomplish this with beautiful prose and language, film utilizes a combination of visuals, music and dialogue that can be enjoyed by illiterate people(which is, sadly, a large portion of the world).

Cornell University provides an education where I can easily combine my love for the two topics. By majoring in Biology and Society, I can study in depth the science of life, but also study its connection to the development of humanity. There is also the possibility of taking classes in the Human Biology Program so that I can better fathom the complexity of the human body. Simultaneously, I can minor in Film to learn both the creative and technical aspects of the medium. Taking a sequence in Creative Authorship will not only improve my knowledge of film but also sharpen my overall skills in expression and communication as well.

Outside of academics, Cornell provides a diverse and ambitious student body, each student bringing a different perspective from the next. By associating myself with many different kinds of people, from aspiring architects to veterinarians to hotel owners, I will have a greater grasp of the human essence, becoming a better storyteller on film. At the same time, I can approach scientific questions from a fresh perspective better than an isolated scientist can. The diversity allows for more a creative and open mind, and as previously stated, the an observant brain is essential to biology. The opportunity for research, independent or under faculty projects, is also available and encouraged. At Cornell, I would have the chance to research with faculty such as Avery August, studying molecular biology and immunology on a deeper level.

Ultimately, my goal is to utilize my growing film skills to translate my wonder and knowledge of biology into a language for everyone to appreciate.
sdoubleh - / 2  
Your introduction was quite catchy and overall flow of essay is great. I really like how you talk about your future goals at the end. However in this paragraph:

Outside of classes, Cornell provides a diverse student body, each ...
I think you can come up with something to talk about the qualities that only Cornell University can bring to you. There are many diverse student body, clubs, and networks found in other universities too.

Home / Undergraduate / Biology - Cornell Supplement (intellectual interests, why exciting, & how to pursue)