Biology defines life ; Cornell Essay ; MAJOR

andrewb495 1 / 2  
Topic- How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?

Biology defines life and gives a strong base of theories that explain unfathomable things. It has been a significant part of my high school career. From the general biology class to the AP one, I learned plenty about the world and its constituents. What interested me most was the fact that this newfound knowledge on certain subjects can be used to benefit my community as well. Working on a science project for two years allowed me to further my knowledge and research a solution to a reoccurring problem not only in my community but around the world. My success and achievements awakened a zeal for the environmental science field as a potential future career.

My love for the subject was sparked from the first day of biology class. In it, my eyes were opened towards certain theories and conclusions I had no idea existed. We learned everything from creation to specific characteristics of each kingdom and phyla. The class was very active, with numerous labs and research that always kept me on the lookout to discover new phenomena. We kept a lab notebook to remember these enriching experiments and memorable moments. The subject that grabbed my attention most was environmental science and the theories and studies behind it. I started researching the topic on my own to learn about different plants and habitats. Towards the end of the year, I put together my studies and research to start a science project for the county science fair.

Bioremediation was the basis of my experiment. I tested the effects of specific aquatic plants on the remediation of pesticides from the water in ponds and lakes. After performing the initial half of the project, I took my samples and results to continue my research in a laboratory at Rutgers University. I worked for two weeks in the lab alone learning to use new devices and instruments while accumulating data. This experience was incredible because of the things I discovered and the insight I had into the career I want to pursue. I placed 1st in the environmental science category of the science fair and qualified for two other fairs, one at a state level, and the other at the international level. I traveled to new places and presented my project to different judges to receive honorable mention at the Genius Olympiad International science fair. My school recognized my achievements and the local newspaper even wrote an article about my accomplishments.

The whole ride was an unforgettable one and I was encouraged to not only further my research in a second year study, but also pursue a career in environmental science. Research and experimentation are my favorite things about the career. The ability and potential to learn or discover new things gives me a sense of excitement and passion. I'm certain that this major will continue to be a thrilling ride; one that will give me drive and ardor to help my community while enjoying doing so.
Superjaniter 1 / 3 1  
Working on a science project for two years allowed me to further my knowledge and research a solution to a reoccurring problem not only in my community but around the world. My success and achievements awakened a zeal for the environmental science field as a potential future caree

You probably need to be more specific here. Elaborate on what your project is about. You do talk about your experiment in your third paragraph, but to me, it feels like you just left the audience hanging.

You could even discuss in your essay about how you could continue your research at Cornell, using their research facilities.
OP andrewb495 1 / 2  
thanks for the advice, Ill use that!

Home / Undergraduate / Biology defines life ; Cornell Essay ; MAJOR