Biology and Economics major. The Ideal School for Me - Carnegie Mellon Supplement

rbuttar14 6 / 11 2  
Please submit a one page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon and your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s).

Located three miles from downtown Pittsburgh is a place where I envision the formation of my future. Standing in the middle of "the Cut", I find myself surrounded by an institution, full of rich history and countless opportunities. It is my freshman year at Carnegie Mellon University; a place that I know holds the essential tools for my future success in life, a place that I am very ecstatic about calling "home" for the next four years.

As one of the best research universities in the nation, Carnegie Mellon appeals to my interests in a variety of ways. Its abundance of small classes enables me to better connect with my professors, and establish great relationships with them. Also, Carnegie Mellon's opportunity to have an interdisciplinary education is very convenient for me, as I am interested in studying biology and economics. Carnegie Mellon's ideal location in Pittsburgh provides me with many opportunities for internships and jobs related to my career interests. On top of all that, Carnegie Mellon's beautiful campus and diverse student body provides for a very inviting environment.

Biology is one major that I am very interested in pursuing at the Mellon College of Science. It was when I first learned what a cell is that I started to become interested in the human body. The fact that there are over trillions of cells in our bodies not only shocked me, but also sparked my curiosity. From that point on, I started to study the human body in my free time, whether it was from textbooks, glancing upon the various posters of the human body taped on my bedroom walls, or even looking through my dad's books on medicine. I soon became aware of the vast quantity of facts and information about the human body. This awareness increased my determination to learn as much information as I can about the human body, and perhaps even discover new information. This ambition of mine has led me to pursue a career in medicine. Majoring in biology at the Mellon College of Science provides me with not only a great foundation for medical school, but it would also offer me with countless research opportunities.

Economics is another major that I am very keen about studying. During the summer after my sophomore year, my dad introduced me to two finance books. After reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason, I started to become curious about how the economy worked, and how wealth is distributed. While I still plan on going to medical school, I strongly believe that I would benefit with an economics major from the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences. A major in economics will teach me how to recognize and predict future outcomes in an economic system, and also what causes people to make certain decisions. All of these things are very valuable to learn for medical school, as doctors have to face many unanticipated outcomes, forcing them to make quick and decisive decisions.

It is now my senior year at Carnegie Mellon. Standing in the middle of "the Cut", I start to take a step. While I don't know in what direction I am heading towards, I am very confident that my path will lead me to a bright future with the essential tools for success I have acquired during my time at Carnegie Mellon.

I will gladly take any criticism. Thanks in advance for your help!
ByTheWay23 1 / 6  
Good job. its a bit brief , but succinct and the grammar is good.
The last paragraph is a bit confusing. Are you imagining the future? That wasn't clear on the first read.
The link between medicine and economics is really tenuous is your essay. You would be better off saying it would help develop reasoning/quantitative skills that can help doctors.
Chigozie 13 / 22 2  
I think you did a good job tying economics and biology together. Your essay was clear and succinct.

Home / Undergraduate / Biology and Economics major. The Ideal School for Me - Carnegie Mellon Supplement