Biology science, Leprosy Hospital, CALS - Help with Cornell Essay

akshay1996 5 / 11  
How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences? (Please limit your response to 650 words.)

I've lived in the sprawling, urban nations of Singapore my whole life. The words "farm" or "agriculture" are distant to me - I've read about them in books and attempted to grasp their visuals on a projector over mouthfuls of popcorn, but I've never really experienced them. As a city kid ready for something new, I'm hoping to trade urban for rural, to swap fast cars and cellphone ringing endlessly for an uninterrupted, research intensive, small college environment. It's the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell that seems to be the ideal embodiment of my needs, the ideal college to cater to my desire for a rigorous undergraduate program in the Biological sciences.

Here's why:

1.CALS emphasis on a particular academic area or goal

As a potential Biological Sciences major, I'm keen to throw myself into straight into the academic options at the college. The world of Biology fascinates me - everything from the visual exploration of a liver cell through a microscope to the study of antibiotic resistance attained by bacteria. Housing an unquenchable thirst for knowledge that the IB Biology curriculum could not satisfy, I chose to establish my school's first Biology society.

Aside from discussions on topics such as the pluripotency of stem cells, the society also explored the ethical issues associated with biology - how embryonic stem cells had the capability to cause tumors when injected into bodies for treatment, whether pain could be felt. In addition to Biology, I am also enamored by the field of Chemistry and its close links to the biological processes essential to plants and animals.

I anticipate undertaking the CALS concentration in Molecular Biology as it will allow me to mesh together my interests in both Chemistry and Biology and explore the links between their nuances and mutual challenges that face future scientists.

2.CALS focus on research for the betterment of community in terms of health

I've been an avid fundraiser and supporter of philanthropic efforts throughout high school. Personally chairing a Singaporean affiliate for the Bombay Leprosy Hospital, I've planned food sales, community fair stalls and other promotional efforts to raise fund and spread awareness for lepers. Yet the tangible connection I so desire eludes me - I've never quite been able to meet lepers, never been able to connect with them, to understand the social implications of their disease.

I look to CALS to change this. I'm seeking to participate in undergraduate research both in and away from the field - to conduct surveys and travel, seeking answers to the mechanisms of communicable disease spread, and working with the latest medical technologies in labs to provide cost effective, medical responses to health issues.

Having observed technologies such as the MRGFus - used for destroying benign tumours - I am now keen to venture further into the chasm between medical and community health research. I am certain my interest in researching the application of biology to global health will be aided by a solid foundation in the biological sciences at CALS.

3.The attention CALS pays to agriculture and sustainability

CALS emphasis on utilizing biology to tackle issues such as food sustainability and crop development have also caught my eyes. All my life I've grown up in a city. I've been to petting zoos and indoor laboratories, but never have I experienced biology in the agricultural setting. I am curious to examine the applications of biotechnology to the injection and activation of new genes for improved crop yield and growth. I value CALS utilization of its location to conduct research and hope to seek instruction in these aspect at the college.
renataba 1 / 3  
I really like it; you have meaningful arguments over there!
admission2012 - / 477 90  
This is called a "writing crutch." Do not do it. Put your response in a complete essay like everyone else. If they wanted three separate responses, they would have asked you three separate questions. Finally, you are all over the place. Liver Cells to stem cells, to plant genes, to human diseases. This just reads like verbal diarrhea. Try putting together a clear, focused argument in one essay that flows naturally if you really want to impress the AO at Cornell. -Admissions Advice Online

Home / Undergraduate / Biology science, Leprosy Hospital, CALS - Help with Cornell Essay