BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES - University of Waterloo AIF

hat2003 1 / -  

Goals, Interests, and Reasons - APPLICATION ESSAY

Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit)

As a student aspiring to become a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon, I strive to be a professional healthcare provider. One that breaks medical boundaries, paving the way for future generations to make more discoveries than my own. With this goal in mind, once I complete my undergraduate degree, I plan to further my education by attending medical school. Although the customization of the biomedical sciences program allows better preparation for this, this was not a major factor in my decision to choose this program. Being a problem solver by nature, there are many who may be intrigued by life sciences; however, it is a love that I cannot live without. I have always enjoyed learning science as it includes the problem solving and logic, whether it may have been the digestive system learned in primary and high school to the laws of thermodynamics learned in university. I chose this program because I do not just want to learn about biology which is the focus of my aspired career, but I also want to understand how all life sciences from chemistry to physics role into one and the role that these interactions play on the human body. I applied to the University of Waterloo specifically because of its advanced technology around the campus which provides students especially those interested in healthcare with more opportunities for hands-on application of their theory-based knowledge. Finally, aforementioned the University of Waterloo program is very customizable, which will enable me to complete the requirements needed for medical school and afford me several opportunities from volunteering to internships within the healthcare field.
There is a 900 character limit, you wrote 1652 characters. You will have to edit the content to meet the character requirement. Summarize your educational goals. You went overboard in that section. Your laser focus on your educational goals caused you to over represent your discussion reasons and in the process, write more than required in that section. You do not need to discuss what your post study plans are in this statement. You are only asked for your educational goals in relation to your chosen program. I believe that is the reason why you over represented. Removing all related discussions to your post study plan will lower the word count. Summarizing other aspects will also serve that purpose well.
teddyz 3 / 6 1  
One thing I do have to say is that the last sentence for me sounded a bit off. I feel like the wording of it made the sentence coming off as sounding out of place. I recommend changing the wording of it or changing where the sentence is placed.
AeroSAE98 2 / 2 1  
I believe that the reasons you give for the university of Waterloo are not specific enough and still fall in the general. You should prove whoever reads your essay that you clearly did your research about the university, what kind of advanced technology you are talking about? what can you do with that equipment that you couldn't in any other university? be sure that this matches your educational goals

Home / Undergraduate / BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES - University of Waterloo AIF