Biotechnology, Isolation of DNA - Princeton supplement

SeniorMel 7 / 45  
Engineering Essay
If you are interested in pursuing a BSE degree, please write an essay describing why you are interested in studying engineering, any experience in or exposure you have had, and how you think the programs in engineering offered at Princeton suit your particular interests.

I was first introduced to engineering in my freshman algebra class. My teacher recommended I attend Illinois ELITES, a program to show how meaningful math and science are in our daily lives. During the Saturday sessions, I worked on a self-paced, computerized math program, Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces (ALEKS). After completing the sixteen-week program and becoming one of the top two freshmen, I earned a scholarship to attend the Illinois Aerospace Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a weeklong summer camp. This experience opened my eyes to the world of mathematics, chemistry, physics and engineering. Many factors went into my decision to study engineering, but the most important were the unraveling and development of answers to human problems globally.

As a member of National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Jr., I competed on a team in the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Engineering Academies Statewide Competition. In "The Long Way Home Challenge," we had to create a system to move tennis balls around detours and obstructions, build in less than 65 minutes with an assortment of office supplies and explain the system's capability; my team won second place. I did not know what discipline of engineering to pursue, but this experience eliminated Civil Engineering and free me to explore other areas.

A six-week program for rising seniors, Summer Academy for Math and Science at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) provided the opportunity to complete research project with CMU faculty members. For my engineering project biotechnology, I performed a biological investigation of organic dog food to determine if any genetically modified genes (GMO) had been inserted. GMOs are dectected by isolating deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), performing a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and analyzing the yield using spectrophotometry and gel elctrophoresis. The project allowed me to acquire hands-on exposure with current techniques applied in a molecular biology lab.

As a student at Princeton, I will have access to vast resources and chances to study and work with accomplished professors. The engineering department's development of practical skills by working with equipment and learning more about analysis and real-life problems reinforces my decision. Additionally, incorporating global subject matter and viewpoint into the classroom will help my international studies. The Study Abroad and International Internship Program to research and establish worldwide links amazed me. Not only would I be able to direct an engineering study but also travel abroad. The best part is the encouragement for all students to take advantage of the options. For someone with very little foreign contacts, relations like these are inspiring. In fact, the universal vision, partnerships and lifelong learning initiatives were the deciding factors in my pursuit of engineering at Princeton.

Thank you for any feedback!
deremifri 9 / 137  
The experience you show is extraordinary, your intellectual development well described,
but I don't understand why civil engineering was of the table.
Great job

Mind to take a look at my essays?
akulz 3 / 5  
The activities that you've done is amazing and I think that you conveyed your message to them saying that you have the potential of being part of the program in Princeton. Your conclusion was great also. It was direct and concise that showed your interest for that program. :)
OP SeniorMel 7 / 45  
Thank you so much for the feedback and encouragement.

Home / Undergraduate / Biotechnology, Isolation of DNA - Princeton supplement