Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Blood, hospitals, and needles often cause sickness and discomfort to most people, but to me

amaky14 1 / 1  
Please write honest reviews about how i should improve my essay. Thank You.

Please provide an answer below if you wish to provide details of circumstances or qualifications not reflected in the application. You may enter up to 650 words.

Blood, hospitals, and needles often cause sickness and discomfort to most people, but to me, they cause curiosity and excitement. Medicine never ceased to interest me. The human body is a conundrum, which makes the process of diagnosing, treating, and preventing diseases all the more engrossing to me. However it is not only human anatomy that has me so intrigued in this field, and I learned this lesson in high school.

I began volunteering in nursing homes on Saturday mornings. Much of my tasks ranged from wheeling patients to different rooms to setting up bingo. One day, I was called to feed a bedridden woman. Entering the room I saw a small elderly woman wrapped in blankets that formed a cocoon watching the news on a small TV connected to the. Her eyes were half lidded and she remained silent as I unwrapped the utensils and prepared her food. I held the spoon to her mouth and she was barely able to get the food in her mouth; I saw how much of a struggle it was for her and I tried my best to make it easier for her as much as possible. Her children soon came to visit, and when they saw me, they showed me a generous smile and sat quietly until I was finished. Once I was done, I cleaned her face and quietly picked up the tray to leave. The lady still said nothing, but when I turned around one last time, I saw a small smile appear on her face, as if she is telling me that now she feels more eased. Her children graciously thanked me on my way out. I couldn't help but be happy by the fact of bringing someone a sense of relief and peace with the simple action of feeding them food. The moment itself was significant but I hadn't realized it back then.

During my summer break I had volunteered at my local hospital. Tasks included wheeling patients up and down the hallways answering calls, completing paper work or, even bring patients their food. I met other volunteers who introduced me to the opportunity of shadowing physicians. Soon I was observing three or more surgeries each day. One particular surgery I remembered was a hip-replacement done to an elderly woman. She struggled to sit up and lay down on the bed before she was injected with anesthetics. Four hours later I was sitting in the post-operating room, and the woman was barely waking up when the orthopedic surgeon walked in to check on her. Gently grasping his hand into both of hers, she gave him a gentle look gratefulness mixed with peace and relief; the exact same gaze as the woman I fed. I realized that even though I may not have been a surgeon treating medical condition, I was given the same amount of appreciation for one simple task. That was what it meant to be a physician: to be able to use you ability to bring that sense of relief and peace to the people you are treating.

My perception of a physician changed within that year. Yes, physicians have to be acute with the knowledge of the human anatomy along with the diseases, symptoms, causes and treatments. But they also have to devote themselves for the welfare of their patients. I began to notice the elation of helping to those in need. No matter how small the task was, they were always grateful. The physician I picture myself to be is one who everyone can depend on. Many people of all ages suffer from ranging medical conditions. I want to be the physician whom they can depend on to take care of them. I am aware the difficulty it is in studying medicine, however, the benefit of it all will change not only my life, but the lives of the future patients I will treat.

Home / Undergraduate / Blood, hospitals, and needles often cause sickness and discomfort to most people, but to me