'Our bodies are fragile' - Personal Stat for Loyola U Chicago

foxyh 5 / 7 1  
Our bodies are fragile things when you get down to the parts. The electrical pulse of our heart and the pressure of our lungs allowing us breath are just small example of the way our bodies work to keep us alive. There is so much more going on than we can fathom and I find it amazing that if one screw comes out of place it could be the difference between life and disaster.

It could take only seconds.
I work in a place where seconds counts. Many times I have hit our emergency responder pager and gotten ready to field an impossible amount of phone calls that will reach me in moments to ask about the situation. The nurses would be on their way to our Operating Room with patient depending on me to get the necessary physicians, practitioners, and extra personnel to them. At these times I need to use these seconds to the best of my abilities because wasting any of them may mean that a baby is born with developmental delays, birth damage, or stillborn. I go to work hoping that I never face that possibility and if it presents itself I am able to rise to meet the opportunity.

There have been many opportunities in life I had not risen for when the time came, preferring to let them past instead. I discovered quickly that working in Labor and Delivery meant being strong for the patients that are there to be taken care of first and me second. The funny thing was that I thought my responsibilities were going to be small and hands-off. I started my first day with the impression that I was just going to be registering patients to collect demographic information when they first arrived and never seeing them again. After my first day of answering call lights, running to rooms and bring patients to triage I saw how wrong I was. Those first months I wondered what I got myself into, but then I slowly began to enjoy it.

Now I look back and wonder how I could have been content sitting in an office chair in front of a computer. Some shifts I never sit down, I do multiple things at a time and I may not have a chance to go to the bathroom until the end of my shift, but I know I am useful. In return this job has help shown me strength and given me confidence. I know that when a patient's labor is not going the way it ought to and the patient or her baby's health is in danger I have confidence to do what I need to do on my end to get her help. I am proud to be a part of a team that works to make sure that when one part of the body does not function properly, everything they can do is done to make sure mother and baby is given the best chance as possible to go on living.

Every second of my life I am truly thankful.

Thanks you so much for reading this! Please be critical and please be a grammar/sentence structure stickler!
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Our bodies are fragile things when you get down to the parts.
You could say this: "When you examine the human body, it is clear how incredibly fragile it truly is."

There is so much more going on than we can fathom and I find it amazing that if one screw comes out of place it could be the difference between life and disaster.

Can you re-examine this sentence, maybe re-word it, it sound a bit off... maybe say how the body has such a delicate balance that must be maintained, and if something goes awry, it could be disastrous.

I work in a place where seconds counts.
Can you add to this sentence (you work in the OR?) So, say In the Operating room, every second counts. Then be sure to connect this 1st sentence in the paragraph to the final sentence in the para.

Many times I have hit our emergency responder pager and gotten ready to field an impossible amount of phone calls that will reach me in moments to ask about the situation.

This is a run-on sentence. Can you speak more clearly here?

There have been many opportunities in life I had not risen for when the time came, preferring to let them past instead.
Maybe say: "In my life, there have been many opportunities to take a chance, and I let that slip through my hands.

During s ome shifts I never sit down.I do multiple things at a time andMy job involves so much multitasking that I may not have a chance to go to the bathroom until the end of my shift, but I know I am useful.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Our bodies are fragile' - Personal Stat for Loyola U Chicago