Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

A book to read / Electrical Engineering / Ambition / Bangkok / Snack -MIT application

wqm 1 / 1  
Since English isn't my first language, I'm so worry about grammatical error and many things else. Need suggestions :D

11a) We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do simply for pleasure of it.(100 words)

Whenever I have spare time, I'll grab a book to read. I was transmitted the behavior of book addiction from my parents since I was young. Whether it's a novel, a comic or a big textbook; if it's a book, it's amazing to me. Reading various types of books explores me to wider field of vision, perspective, knowledge and vocabulary. Even though, I enjoy reading all genres, my favorites are sci-fi and fantasy. I love being in dreams where things can be only an imaginary. As a result, I want to change their inexistence into possibility with my own hands.

11b) Although you may not know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (100 words)

I want to major in electrical engineering. Since global warming is a very needed-to-be-solved problem in today world, I want to fix it by providing more eco-friendly energy than those we're currently using. I hope to study in the university where is able to give the greatest knowledge of engineering. Moreover, I love watching technology TV programs. There often are people from MIT bringing interesting inventions along. I was like "Wow! They're so cool! I want to be like them", therefore I begin to search more about MIT, and finally think that this may be a university I'm looking for.

12a) What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (200-250 words)

The one I most proud of is an ambition. This personality encourages me to move on with self-confidence and willing to accomplish. When I was young, I always ranked in the bottom of my class; my father was disappointed. However, I don't want to be a daughter who dishearten her father and herself, I tried so hard to be on the top. As a result, I've been placed on the 1st, and able to make my parents be proud of me. I don't care what other say especially when I got disdained, I always think that I will make them regret of what they've said and try extremely harder. Like when I told people about applying to top universities in USA, they just feigned smile; I know deep in their hearts, they don't believe I can do it.

Moreover, ambition even leads me to an unbelievable idea that I can make change to this world. Even though I know it sounds like a ridiculous idea from a girl who talks nonsensically, I want to try and arrogantly believe I can do it. With ambition, I have a target on the top of my ladder. When I reach there, I will build a higher ladder and go beyond it. Not only for myself but for my family, my country, and this planet I live on.

12b) Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations? (200-250 words)

Every idea in my head is motivated by the surrounding environment of mine. I am raised in a house with rustic environment in Bangkok suburb. Meanwhile, this place is also a slum where people live with low quality of life-low educated, drug addicted and young pregnant. My father keeps reminding me I can't let their lives be like this forever.

My father is a retired solider who has been devoting to country. After superannuation, he becomes a senator to continue his intention. My mother is an oblige daughter and a knowledge seeker, but has no chance to study. She takes care of her parents while the rest of her siblings don't. I have no sibling, but I do have cousins. I'm the oldest grandchild in my mother-side-family and the next head of family who have to support family and provide enough education to my cousins.

Growing up among environment like this, I know instantly that I can't spend my life meaninglessly. I have to gain as much knowledge as possible in order to be able to support my family and use my knowledge to improve the lives of my neighbor. For me, electrical engineering can play a major role in social improvement. I can provide them a cheap eco-friendly energy source which can reduce some of their payments. Moreover, I think of making enough money, then spending them on fostering the local children to higher education and inculcating them a conscious to innovate the society.

12c) Tell us about the most significant challenge you've faced or something important that didn't go according to plan. How did you manage the situation? (200-250 words)

When I was young, I always walked around my eating snack. In my neighborhood, we have a greeting when walk pass each other.
There was a man passing me. He asked "Can I eat your snack?"
This was my answer "You better be a beggar rather than asking me"
When my father heard this, he was really angry and hit me for the first time. He had me apologize to that guy. Fortunately, he forgave me.

From this occurrence, I was taught that I shouldn't say something rude to the older, to anyone, indeed. I learned to be respectful and to think before saying a word.

My father asked me "What's matter with the beggar? Are they bad?"
They don't. I just absorbed those ways of thinking from others. He then taught me not to evaluate people by social standing. He told, "Even a beggar can be a good person, and quality of people can't be judge by the money in their pocket".

Moreover, I learned to be more generous. In that time, I actually thought that he wanted to eat it for real. Now I know I should share what I have to others.

This seemed-to-be-unimportant event gave me a precious life-lesson. I still feel guilty but if I could change the past, I wouldn't take back my word. If I hadn't said it, I wouldn't learn many things like I did. Although it was one of the worst things I ever did, I owe it a lot.

Home / Undergraduate / A book to read / Electrical Engineering / Ambition / Bangkok / Snack -MIT application