'Books and articles related to psychology' - UC/ World I come from

lightinthebox 1 / -  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

When talking about dreams and aspirations, they are something that have been constantly changing throughout my life. When I was still a kid, I only dreamt of having a happy family in the future as I wasn't born to a complete family. My parents got divorced just the time before I was born. Then there were pilot, astronaut, scientist and every fascinating job I wished I could do. As I grow older, I started to broaden my mind by noticing things happening around me, especially in my community.

I was born and raised in Hong Kong, an international and modern metropolis, but also a city full of stress. At school, children were overwhelmed by the school works and extra-curricular activities. At work, employees strive their whole life to pay off mortgages. This phenomenon gets worse in Asian country from what I've observed so far, especially after studying aboard in Australia. My community is developing, yet people get depressing even more rapidly. I well remember the day when I saw a group of fireman gathered downstairs of my apartment. I wasn't sure what had happened until I watched the news, a single mother and her 10 years-old son were dead from charcoal-burning suicide. According to investigations, the incident was likely due to her long-term depression and pressure of bringing up the kid on her own. I never thought this would happen just that close to me, I could feel the atmosphere in my community was filled with stress, sadness and melancholy. As being a member of this community, I knew that something need to be done to ameliorate this situation, and this was the time that inspired me to pursue a career relates to Psychotherapy, particularly in counselling psychology and clinical psychology. I think the significance of this career is that I can genuinely help people who suffer from mental illness by relieving their pain with proper treatment, ultimately improve their quality of lives, and influence the community positively.

I am always interested in reading books or articles relate to psychology, the very first psychological book I read was about adversity quotient, rooted in cognitive psychology. I didn't have the chance to study psychology at my high school, so I tried my best to grasp and comprehend those knowledge in my free time. When it came to the time where I have to choose my college's major, I undoubtedly chose Psychology as this is one subject which I enjoying studying and investigating. Apart from pursuing a career in psychology, my ultimate dream is to be able to join 'Doctors without Borders' as a psychologist in the future, in particular helping traumatized people who suffer from mental disorders in conflict zones. This may sound unrealistic as I have to sacrifice a lot to accomplish this dream, but working as a psychologist who can relive mental pain of people will always be my aspiration.

feel free to critique / any suggestion and feedback would be appreciated :)!
14janicel 3 / 15 2  
1st paragraph: ...having a happy family in the future as I wasn't born to a complete familysince I was born into an incomplete family . My parents got divorced just the timeright before I was born

maybe you should make your world more obvious. i should at least have an idea what your world is by the end of the first paragraph. other than that, you answer the prompt pretty well.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Books and articles related to psychology' - UC/ World I come from