Books, historical event, roommate - Stanford Profile Questions and Short Essays

Foreigner 3 / 10  
Profile Questions:

Name your favorite books, authors, films, and/or musical artists.
Bob Dylan: because of the significance of the lyrics he wrote which always had the finger on the pulse of time, in the past and today.

"The Hornet" written by Ken Follett, my favorite author. William Golding's "Lord of the Flies" was also a book which really impressed me.

What magazines, newspapers, and/or websites do you enjoy?
times.com where I always get the newest information to stay up to date on world topics. I also enjoy the German political newspaper "Die Welt", and "Kicker", a soccer magazine.

What is the most significant challenge that society faces today?
The loss of family bounds and traditions which come along with the greedyness after everything new and innovative of today's society.

Historical Event:
I would have liked to share the unique feeling of solidarity, adventure, and change with the other revolutionists at the Storming of the Bastille at Paris on July 14th, 1789 which heralded the beginning of the French Revolution.

How did you spent your 2 last summers:
Except travelling to Italy in 2009 for a week, I spent my last two summers applying for going abroad and being an American High School Student for a year. When I finally arrived, it also took some time to integrate in this new culture and society.

Five Words that best describe me:
Open-minded, ambitious, disciplined, inquisitive, vivacious

What were your favorite events (e.g., performances, exhibits, sporting events, etc.) this past year?
The moment when my plane from Frankfurt to Houston, left the ground and took to the skies. In that moment I realized my dream was coming true and that my new life would start right now.

Short Essays
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. What would you want your future roommate to know about you? Tell us something about you that will help your future roommate -- and us -- know you better.

Dear Roomie,
As a German exchange student in the States, I have discovered that life is colorful, that it has many different sides and aspects. Whenever you are bored with it, you may find a new exciting thing in the next moment. As colored and diversive as life is, so am I.

I am a normal teenager, more outgoing and friendly than shy or introverted. I am not the person who is always in the spotlight, entertaining other people with his jokes but I am a good listener; a person you can easily hang out with yet still have a meaningful conversation with. Given a choice, I would always prefer a little group of friends to who I am close than a big crowd of people.

School and sports are the biggest parts of my life. To be active in sports gives me the balance I need. I enjoy the feeling of standing on the field with my ten teammates, playing and thinking as a unit. On the Soccer Field, everybody is equal, not depending on their personal backgrounds. When players sprint to the ball or straddle on the goal line to avoid the deciding point, I am in my glory. I also enjoy writing which allows me to express myself in ways that I hope everyone can relate to and understand, and the freedom it grants me is incomparable to anything else.

I love long conversations and am a very open-minded person, who likes to try and get to know new things. On quiet days, I like to enjoy the peace and lay on the couch reading a good book.

Because of the multicultural experiences I have had, I am sure that we will be able to learn and share our cultures and differences, and I hope that in time, we will be not just roommates, but close friends.

Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.

Kofi Annan once tellingly noticed: "To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there."

I have not completely figured out my personality or what I represent. However, I know myself well enough to determine my goals and decide well.

As soon as I knew I had fulfilled all the requirements for going to an American college, I started to list the features the university of my choice should have: A multiplicity of different students and characters, a plurality of first-class courses in the areas of Political Science and Biochemistry, balmy weather, and a place which not only supports my academic, but also my athletic and social goals. I can faithfully say that Stanford University was the only place which complied every single one of my wishes.

I am looking forward to talking with people from all over the world, to listen to different opinions, to learn and understand. One day, I would like to cross "the farm", enjoying the Californian sun on my back and knowing that the gates of Meyer Library stand open for many nights of biochemistral homework. I am looking forward to going for a visit of San Francisco Bay with some friends, and one day meeting some of the nation's best soccer players on the field of Stanford Stadium. I would be glad to participate in the Stanford Solar Car Project which combines not just my enjoyment for alternative energy resources, but also my interest in engineering. I am looking forward to getting a group of friends together to study for the annual international relations' final or to jump into a new political-related research project with such distinguished faculty members as Stephen Krasner as my mentors.

All in all, Stanford is the place where my love for people, science, and society meet and which will grant me a well-rounded, globally enriching education.

Since "Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great" (Niccolo Machiavelli), I am sure that Stanford and I will end up in an happily-ever-after.

Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

"Hey stupid Nazi!," the guy shouted. I turned around. "Yeah, you," he continued, "Blond haired, blue-eyed, I bet Hitler would had loved you."

Encouraged by extensive media coverage, xenophobia has become one of the biggest problems in today's society. It is, in fact, an issue where people would be foolish to wear blinders and remain ignorant of any longer.

Being different, even if it is only the culture and not the skin color, is one of the biggest challenges a human can be confronted with. By living in the States, I have experienced prejudice firsthand as noted in my opening sentence, and therefore I finally understand and can share what millions of immigrants feel in dealing with life everyday in countries which are supposed to be open minded and offer equal opportunity for everyone.

At first I felt like an outsider in this unfamiliar culture until I awakened to the importance of solidarity among each other, I noticed that materialism is diespensable and that charity and humanity are thoroughly invaluable characteristics everywhere. I recognized that an overall straightforwardness and cosmopolitanism would be the biggest improvement our society could experience and solve many problems which seemed to be insoluble for a long time. But as long as prejudice and stereotypes determine our thoughts, xenophobia will always be a problem humanity has to deal with. As Martin Luther King Jr. once tellingly noticed, it is also one of my biggest hopes that "the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away, and that in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty".

I am not sure if I answered the questions, I especially worry about my last essay.

Every critic greatly improvement. Since I am an International, I know that my English is not perfect at all. Thanks
paranormale 4 / 32  
Wow, Stanford's asking a lot aren't they?

"Less because of his unique voice, but because of the signifigance of the lyrics he wrote which always have the finger on the pulse of time, in the past and today."

"Besides these two Newspapers, I enjoy sports (especially soccer) magazines whereas . The German professional journal "Kicker" is my favorite."

"Thinking about my favorite event during the last years, there is only one thing that immediately comes to my mind: The moment when my plane from Frankfurt to Houston , left the ground and took to the skies. In that moment I realized my dream was coming true and that my new life would start right now.?"

Hope I helped! Good luck!
jpg_76 3 / 18  
uhm...you want to be careful of the 300 character limit so you should really cut down on what you say

My favorite artist of all time is probably Bob Dylan.:Less because of his unique voice, but because of the significance of the lyrics he writes which always have the finger on the pulse of time, in the past and today. we can assume he's a favorite

There are a few books I enjoy as much as listening to Dylan's music which include
(again we know these are favorites) "The Hornet" written by Ken Follett, my favorite author. William Golding's "Lord of the Flies" was also a book which really impressed me.

the above goes for the rest of your answers, you only have 300 characters so you don't have to write in complete sentences

By beingAs a German exchange student in the States, I have discovered that life is colorful, that it has many different sides and aspects. Whenever you are bored with it, you may find a new exciting thing in just the next moment. How colored and diverse life is, so am I.I am as diverse and colored as life? maybe sounds better?)

I am a normal teenager, more outgoing and friendly than shy or introverted. I am not the person who is always in the spotlight, entertaining other people with his jokes but I amI would describe myself as a good listener; a person you can easily hang out with but alsoyet still have a meaningful conversation with.

your responses are fine but be conscious of the limits and make sure to use spell check.

good luck! im applying to stanford too!
OP Foreigner 3 / 10  
Thanks so much for your help. By the way: Are we supposed to explain why we picked these 5 words on the short answers?
jpg_76 3 / 18  
i think they just want a list but then again they give you 300 characters so its really up to you

don't think that helped much, lol =]
swimchick2266 3 / 9  
Just a few small things...

Given a choice, I would always prefer a little group of friends who really know me and to who I am close than a big crowd of people.

This sentence is a little awkward

School and sports

I also enjoy writing

Wow your grasp on English is actually very good! Great unique essays! Good Luck!

Could you return the favor and take a look at mine?
liptak92 2 / 5  
i like your essays
they are good

the only thing is on your short answers im pretty sure they are more looking for a list because of the short character limit
it may not hurt to leave some description but they might need to be cut down just a little bit
spak417 2 / 6  
I really enjoyed reading your essays and want to return the favor of you reading mine. It's only a small detail, but I believe the sentence below will read a little better with this minor adjustment.

On the Soccer Field, everybody is equal, not depending onindependent of their personal backgrounds.
OP Foreigner 3 / 10  
At all: The third essay is the one I am most concerned about, so if you are in a hurry, just read that one. ANY criticism or comments welcome

Home / Undergraduate / Books, historical event, roommate - Stanford Profile Questions and Short Essays