How books shaped my world - UC Application Personal Statement Prompt

wsamakoen 2 / 2  
[b]Personal Statement 1

The world that I come from consist of magical creatures, such as, warlocks, wizards, vampires, angels, werewolves, necromancers who take me on breathtaking adventures everyday because the world that has shaped my dreams and aspirations are my books. My dream is to have a life where I can wake up each day and know that a mystery or adventure that needs to be embark upon the moment I get up. As some may prefer to lounge in relaxation I prefer a fast paced and ever changing day filled with the strangest, but exciting encounters than a constant one.

Books that are responsible for the world I come from are The Mortal Instruments Series, Fallen Series, Vampire Academy Series, The Dark Powers Series, The Wake Series, Hunger Games. In each book the protagonists discover something out of the ordinary where a mystery follows, and in the midst of their adventures a dilemma occurs. However no matter the difficulty of the situation they never give up and always accomplish what they originally aim for. I can relate myself to books because persistence is one of many redeeming qualities to my character, as the chapters in my life unfold I face harder situations yet I fight against the odds and manage to pull through. My persistence can sometimes portray arrogance but it is what motivates me to achieve success.

Although I do not fight with mind compulsion or supernatural abilities like these fictional characters, I fight with one of my strengths, persistence. I may not be a shadowhunter, necromancer, or a fallen angel but what I have common with them is that I fight strongly for something I believe in. I joined the IGCSE program a year behind from everyone else and took the challenge of economics, through my struggle I realized that my persistence is my supernatural ability.

As each page turns not only I reveal a story but also myself since the similarity of each character is frighteningly similar to me, for example how I tend to do or say things before I think of the consequences. In class when the teacher asks the class a question everyone grows silent while I shoot my hand in the air and shout the answer continuously until I get it right, the teacher laughs at my attempts but appreciates the confidence I have in all my answers. Despite the fact that I completely make a fool of myself in class I still remain positive because I know that to give effort is just as important as the result.

I have become more confident, outspoken, persistent, and strong from the world I live in because nothing has shaped me more then my books. My books taught me more valuable lessons then my school and family could ever give because the reading I have done has given insight into the person who I have become.
oneshot 2 / 3  
I enjoyed reading your essay, but i feel that the introduction could be written differently to flow better with the rest of the essay
soccer1421 2 / 3  
I really like the idea that books shape your world because it shows that you are a fan of literature and I'm pretty sure UCs would like that. The only comment that I would have about the essay is where does it establish your goals and aspirations? What the UC prompt is basically asking is "what are your goals and aspirations, and how has your environment affected you?" If you can find a way to incorporate the books into that then it will be a solid essay.

Home / Undergraduate / How books shaped my world - UC Application Personal Statement Prompt