Boom Boom. Boom Boom. / What intrigues you? NYU

yvpartieduc 1 / 1  
Hey everyone, can you please provide me feedback on this topic please. Thank You in advance.

Prompt: What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

Boom Boom. Boom Boom. It is happening right now; it has happened for as long as you have lived and it doesn't stop until you stop living. About eighty times a minute, for eighty years. On organ, the size of your fist is essentially responsible for your life. Know what it is? You're right, it's the heart. From the time a baby is born to the time the baby grows into an old man or woman and dies, the heart, without taking a single break, beats to keep them alive. Constantly beating for that long is one thing, but supplying blood to the entire body while doing so is just remarkable. The efficiency with which the heart works is captivating to say the least. It is more efficient than the car engine of the best Rolls Royce or the best Mercedes Benz ever made. Many outstanding cardiovascular doctors have dedicated their entire lives to researching this incredible organ, but the heart's full potential still remains a mystery. When will one be able to comprehend this full potential of the heart? How long will it take before this happens? These questions constantly linger in my head and sure won't be answered anytime soon. However, I believe it is still worth the time to try to find the answers.
DrS 1 / 24 5  
Talking about the heart does not "explain its significance to you" whatsoever.
linting2012 10 / 78 18  
I think it does explain its significance to you. It shows your passion towards heart and perhaps the subject of your study. I think it is a very good essay.
paulazh 3 / 5 1  
Your essay is really good and well thought. :D
But I think there's a small error :
One organ with the size of your fist is essentially responsible for your life.

Good luck !
OP yvpartieduc 1 / 1  
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Really appreciate it!
tissuetearer 1 / 6 2  
I agree with the rest. What makes the heart special? Technically, the brain controls the heart and cardiac rhythms, so your "boom" argument is a teeny bit flawed there. So, what does the heart mean to you? Think about that first moment of inspiration that you found out about the heart - what happened? how did you feel?

If you get a chance, please review my engineering essay!
MNJ - / 7  
Actually, the commenter above me is very wrong. The heart does not need directions from the brain. In fact, heart muscle cells placed in a test tube with adequate nutrients will beat rhythmically for an indefinite period of time. (Although, yes, the brain CAN increase or decrease the RATE of heartbeat.)

Also, you might want to replace "boom" with something like "lub dub", which are the official words used to describe the sound of the heartbeat.

And yes, you ought to elaborate some more on how and why it fascinates YOU.

Home / Undergraduate / Boom Boom. Boom Boom. / What intrigues you? NYU