Born in America with a Filipino heritage and culture!

enigma_girl 1 / -  
Hi! I would really like someone to review and give any thoughts on my Rutgers essay. It would be very helpful!

Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences.

The abundant ethnicities and cultures within Rutgers University illustrate a quintessence of a vibrant community; the immense majority of experiences and backgrounds diversify the school. I am positively certain that Rutgers University is a place for me because being able to live within a diverse environment is very grateful. It is very scintillating that universities, such as Rutgers, counsels on the idea of integrating vast cultures, talents, and services. This is an advantage for people entering in the real world to learn more about others and what they have done in the past.

Although I was born in America, I do not disregard my Filipino heritage and culture. My parents grew up in two divergent cities. My mother lived most of her life in Iloilo City, Philippines, while my father grew up in the Quezon Province. In my household, there are two distinct languages that are spoken. Both my mother and her parents speak Hiligaynon, and my dad speaks the generic filipino language, Tagalog. While growing up, I adapted the erudition in understanding both languages.

I accustomed my friends into some of the Filipino tradition, leading them to new experiences and knowledge. An example includes the Filipino tradition of a debut, the coming-of-age celebration of a young woman. Most of the teenagers in my town didn't acknowledge what a debut is. I invited a group of people and taught them some of the traditional filipino court dances for the ceremony. After teaching and practicing these court dances for weeks, we performed it in front of a copious audience. Subsequently, we performed the dance in other places, such as in church parties and holiday occasions. Meanwhile, I maintain a steady balance of my heritage, American custom, and other cultures creating a diverse community. In exchange of my tradition, I have friends who showed me places I am not familiar with. I have a friend who took me to her mom's job in New York City. I learned the differences between living in the city and my place, a small town in New Jersey. I enjoy being involved with others, teaching them new things and learning other experiences from them, which is very beneficial in gaining new acquaintances.

Behind all the customs and cultures that evolve in the community, I wished to expand my experience in the medical field. I had severe scoliosis during the beginning of my adolescent. During that time, I had visited the orthopedic doctor and my pediatrician every other week to check my curved spine and give blood works in preparation for surgery. It was a very hard process to go through; however, I gained a lot of my experience of dealing and interacting with nurses and doctors in a hospital. After going through surgery, it took a lot of determination and therapies to maintain my health and stability. I missed about a month of school at the end of the year, which led me to be home-schooled to finish my education. Even though I was suffering a medical condition, my strive in gaining an education influenced myself as an intellectual and diligent student throughout my four years in high school.

Experiencing in a hospital as a patient made me want to experience the opposite side and behind the scenes of what is done in a functioning hospital. Most of my family members are employed as nurses, which influenced me to engage in the medical field. I applied to the summer volunteer program at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center during the summer of my junior year. During my time at the medical center, I used my ability to make patients and their families comfortable and feel like at home. Furthermore, I try to communicate with nurses and doctors to benefit myself with their backgrounds or past education. Through the history of family nurses, hospital experience, and helping others with different cultures, it influenced me to cooperate and be involve in the medical field.

Rutgers University is a vibrant place where I feel I can contribute and benefit the most because of being able to connect others with different experiences, cultures, and backgrounds. I hope to ameliorate myself and aide people during my time at Rutgers University. My ambition and determination to succeed would be a great asset to the Rutgers community. I would contribute in experiences from my background and attain new ones from others.
Hi enigma_girl,
: )

Although I was born in America, I do not disregard my Filipino heritage and culture.

This is a strong sentence : ) Beautiful!

My parents grew up in two divergent cities.

... good! but elaborate a little bit how divergent they are;
My parents grew up in tow divergent cities in every respect.

I accustomed my friends into some of the Filipino tradition, leading them to new experiences and knowledge.

I had my friends accustomed into some Filipino traditions that enriched their experience and knowledge.

You write very well... Good Job!
Good Luck! : )

Home / Undergraduate / Born in America with a Filipino heritage and culture!