BORN IN BRAZIL; U Mich 250 words "Cultural Salad"

lps55 2 / 3  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

I consider myself a global citizen. Born in Brazil, I come from a culturally diverse family. Back in history, Brazil was a place where people from all over the world would came to start a new life and runaway from wars. As a result, Brazil became stage of the miscegenation that occurred, turning into one of the most diverse countries in the world.

I am a result of my country's history. Italian, English, German, Russian, Portuguese and native Brazilian are just some of the many ethnic backgrounds I descend from. From the reddish blonde hair that I got from my Vikings genes, or the pasta and strudel served on my table, it is clear to see the influence my ancestors have on me. This multiracial background has enriched me as a human being and taught me to be respectful of every person, no matter where they come from, what they look like or what their traditions are; our differences are what make us unique.

I am grateful for being born in a family with different opinions, values and traditions, because it has shaped me to become the individual that I am today. With a multicultural campus that celebrates and encourages diversity, I am positive the University of Michigan will be a place I could call my home.

Please critique and be harsh!
Thank you.
kabal 9 / 61  
you can't be harsh to a Brazilian LOL
This is well written. I liked it a lot
The last paragraph is hmmm.
You started with Brazil , but ended with family. what is the connection.
Is you family full of different ethnic groups,just like Brazil.?
you need a stronger conclusion.
OP lps55 2 / 3  
Yeah, I tried to connect both things and I guess it didn't turn out as strong as I wanted it to be :/
Thanks, that was very helpful!
Epsilon 3 / 10  
It shows that you put thought into your essay and that it has substance. You showed literally and abstractly how a multicultural background had an effect on you, and overall I think you did well.
shad81 2 / 3  
you have a good attitude in writing this letter. good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / BORN IN BRAZIL; U Mich 250 words "Cultural Salad"