'born of Chinese descent to major in Chinese' - UC transfer applications

sally9216 2 / 3  
Prompt 1:
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

Although I was born of Chinese descent, I did not have a chance to fully understand my Chinese heritage that well. My parents, not being able to speak Chinese, brought us from America to Singapore to make sure that our Chinese heritage is preserved. We didn't live there long as my older brother decided to continue his college studies in America. The short time we lived in Singapore made me see everything from a different angle and I gained a whole different respect for the world around me. I especially loved the Chinese festivals we experienced there such as Chinese New Year, the Moon cake Festival and I even won the lantern making competition at the Lantern-making festival. Moving back here, I convinced my parents to let me enroll in a Chinese course at Irvine Valley College as my high school did not have Chinese as a foreign language. I learned so much in that class and even had the opportunity to apply what I learned to when I visited China. My visit to China was amazing. I learned many things about the Chinese culture such as the different kinds of tea, their talents and skills in making crafts and I probably even mastered how to bargain with the shop vendors. Since then, I have decided that I would like to major in Chinese so that I can learn more about this fast developing country so that I can teach it to the future generations.

Any help is appreciated thank you :)
doodler - / 2  
My parents, unable to speak Chinese, brought us ( whos us?) from America to Singapore to ensure the preservation of our chinese heritage.

This kind of modification can be applied to your other sentences as well! Otherwise this is a very good passage which throughly answers the question. :)
gera229 1 / 8  
Since then, I have decided that I would like to major in Chinese so that I can learn more about this fast developing country so that I canand teach it to the future generations.

This is a nice passage and I must agree with doodler.
OP sally9216 2 / 3  
Thank you! I hope you can help with my other essay too :)
The short time we lived in Singapore made me see everything from a different angleperspective and I gained a whole differentbegan to respect and be a part of for the world around me.

I learned so much in that class and even had the opportunity to apply what I learned to when I visited China.

Since then, I have decided that I would like to major in Chinese so that I can learn more about this fast developing countrynationandso that I can teach it to the future generations.

Home / Undergraduate / 'born of Chinese descent to major in Chinese' - UC transfer applications