Born an identical twin; Personal Statement for University of Washington

cannie253 1 / -  
MY ESSAY!!!!!!

Born an identical twin to a father who graduated with degrees in Mechanical engineering and a mother who was a teacher, I was developed in an academic world. Running around in IBM's T. J Watson Research center in New York when our dad was working there and watching them work on computers were our best moments as kids. Learning how things work was really interesting to me as a child growing up. As time went by, using my talent in design, and scientific stories from my dad drew my attention to Science and Engineering.

We moved from America to our home country Nigeria because our parents wanted us to meet our relatives and learn about where we come from. The move caused me to transfer a lot, giving me the opportunity to work with different people and interact with students and teachers in different parts of the world. I faced some academic challenges; I can remember I wasn't accepted by some middle schools because I was left handed but that didn't affect my academic performance. Changing schools due to the movement expanded my brain and gave me the opportunity to learn better and embrace academic diversity. Working with other students excites me because it's really nice to have different students with different creative ideas to work with in achieving goals and developing management skills.

We eventually moved to our hometown which was my grandfather's kingdom. Both my grand fathers were Chiefs of two villages. My life in the Village was my greatest experience in Nigeria. It gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about our culture and royal traditions. I was able to learn about my entire 14 ancestors that ruled the land and the migration of our people from the Middle East to Nigeria 800 years ago. We also learned a lot of royal rules and regulations and we took part in some of the Cultural festivals. The experience guided me into becoming a very humble, respectful and polite person.

My father was a Shell Professor in Mechanical Engineering at Ahmadu Bello University during our stay in Nigeria, and his career influenced me and inspired me to consider studying engineering. Working as his temporary secretary at his Shell Professorial office as I was in High school gave me the opportunity to be part of their projects, learning a lot about Engineering team development and management. The job allowed me to be present as he taught his master degree students. I was able to join some of the Mechanical engineering students in the University to design Traffic lights for a highway that passed through a village near by. I acquired knowledge in the field of engineering both academically and in the real world making it a great experience for me as a High school senior. Throughout my academic progress, my greatest interests were in science and mathematics. Accepting prices for being the best Math student in high school and getting good grades in scientific classes constructed my foundation in Engineering.

Living in a hot and dry African environment with great landscapes and artistic ideas, I was able to pick up art as a hobby. I began to sketch and paint African landscapes, people and culture. When the dean of the faculty of Art saw my paintings he pleaded with my dad to let me study Fine art instead of engineering. Life at home with little social life drove me to pick up a great love for music. I was able to study how to make music using music production programs and musical instruments. My twin brother and I have released some songs and performed a lot here and Africa. We were able to produce music professionally for award winning artists in Nigeria and eventually I became the President of Titan records in Tacoma community college for a year. All my hobbies contribute a lot to my academic success and they give me a wider understanding of academic diversity.

After high school I decided to leave my family in Africa and come back to the US to pursue my academic dreams. I enrolled at Tacoma Community College (TCC) and took prerequisites for mechanical engineering. My parents were so proud of me, and their happiness motivated me. Unfortunately, last year my father's diabetes condition got worse and he passed away. My mother, a sickle cell anemia patient was stuck so much by my fathers death, and she eventually passed away too a couple of months later. I immediately traveled back to Africa and worked really hard to be there for my siblings since I was the oldest child. I decided to bring them to the US so that I could put into good schools and start a new life here. Everything was successful and we all came to the states and I continued my academic journey at TCC. Instructors, colleagues and friends have been inspired by how hard working I still am even after loosing my parents. This is because I'm naturally motivated to succeed and I completed the prerequisites for engineering.

University of Washington is a very distinguished school located in a very good educational environment with great high ranked programs. I believe that coming to such a great school will be a very strong background for me to be able to give back to the community and inspire people more. I want to become an Engineer so that I can use my experience, knowledge in science and mathematics to help make life much easier for man-kind. From exploring the school, talking to current students and graduates, I have concluded that UW is the right school for me. I believe that all the schools I've been to around the world were preparing me for academic excellence at the University of Washington. I want to proceed into getting a Master's degree and a PhD at the University so that I can be part of such a great school as an Engineer and improve the lives of many around the world.
flyinjoe 2 / 2  
Running around in IBM's T.J. Watson Research center

Also in the above sentence, you do not introduce who "we" is. I can understand that it is you and your siblings but it could be clearer.

she eventually passed away too a couple of months later

University of Washington is a very distinguished school located in a very good educational environment with great high ranked programs.
They already know this. They don't want to hear it from you. Delete this sentence.

I want to proceed into getting a Master's degree and a PhD at the University so that I can be part of such a great school as an Engineer and improve the lives of many around the world.

Home / Undergraduate / Born an identical twin; Personal Statement for University of Washington