"Born in Russia, I live in US" I can contribute to the diversity of the University by

poweralex2305 1 / 2  
Describe how you can contribute to the diversity of the University. This is still just a raw draft, I appreciate any suggestions, and corrections.

While I live in America now, I was originally born and raised in Russia until I was fifteen. While living vast amount of time in the other country I can greatly contribute to the diversity in the University of XXX. Due to a large diversity in the population of Russia, the people I was raised around taught me to be open-minded. I've seen, experienced and still carry in me a culture and traditions that are quite different from what a common American would have. I am willing to share my knowledge with anyone who is willing to learn or just of general interest about other countries. There are lots of things that are different about my country, starting from our traditional foods, dances, and arts, all the way to the history. Simply talking about, say, Russian Orthodox Church would take up tons of pages.

Besides being a citizen of Russia, I have also had a great opportunity to travel and live in Egypt and Turkey for over a month, where I've gathered lots of fascinating and interesting things about the community and local lifestyle. As you can see, throughout my life I've always been interested in experiencing other cultures. While living in a diverse community I've had a pleasure to be able to collaborate with people from a plethora of countries. It is always a thrill to experience a part of a different culture, that's why while I continue to learn more about America, I am attaining knowledge about Spain and Mexico in my college Spanish classes.

I am confident that I have the experiences and potential to prove that I will be an asset to your undergraduate program. Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to intellectually inspiring and fruitful association with your university.
wnSF - / 3  
Hi Power Alex,

Here's my quick feedback:

I think your experience in Russia is probably fascinating. Is there a way that you can talk about the challenges or insights growing up where you did? What's different about growing up in Russia as compared to where this university is? What kind of new perspective do you think that you can bring?
jemeshay 3 / 8  
I agree with Wendy (wnSF), I believe you should give more insight into the culture of Russia, meaning not only just the obvious differences like food, church, dances and arts, but things like well Russians probably only go to church once a month ( I really dont know, its just an example) or for some odd reason many families wear the color blue on tuesdays ( Again I don't know , its just an example.) But I really think you should give a little more intresting facts.

Other than that, this paper was really good and your experience sound awesome. And I like that fact you show how diverse you are to the college. Colleges really like people like that!

Home / Undergraduate / "Born in Russia, I live in US" I can contribute to the diversity of the University by