Boston University supplement - "cheering "GO Terrier!""

saft10 2 / -  
In five or six sentences, tell us how you first became interested in BU and what steps you have taken to learn more about us. (Character 750)

I believe that your university defines who you are and who you will become. My college counselor was the first one to advise me that Boston University might be the school for me. She talked so fondly of it, that I began to research it online and attend college fairs to learn more about it. I became aware that Boston University, as one of the nation's top schools, gives me the chance to become a truly educated individual, enables me to communicate better with a diversity of people and to prosper in the world.

BU offers me a great variety of programs, clubs and opportunities to intellectually grow as a person. It gives me the chance to learn from many esteemed educators in intensive classes that will challenge me daily. Higher education will give me the chance to obtain a better job and cooperate with the economy. One of the most important aspects BU provides is its culturally diverse environment. This is very important to me because I love to meet new people and learn new about cultures.

Boston University has 75 different studying abroad programs that will make me face the challenge of stepping out of my old comfort zone and expand my horizons. Studying abroad really captures my attention because it opens such a variety of opportunities in jobs and education. BU also has one of the greatest internship programs, making me capable of interning for some of the top companies. This really makes me learn about how life will be after college and get a sense of the real world, so I can be prepares.

Another very important aspect is the attention Boston University gives to its athletic department. If I'm not playing in a volleyball court, I am cheering on my team for victory at the top of my lungs. Sports give you a chance to express yourself and grow together as a family. This is a reason for why BU has become the only school I can truly picture myself in. I can only picture myself cheering "GO Terrier!"

any comments would be very useful, I also need to cut it down.. its currently at 1,500 characters!
tsunami 1 / 17  
Yahh, a lot of that stuff is redundant that you could cut down like when you say "Higher education will give me the chance to obtain a better job and cooperate with the economy." that's like kinda general, and can be used for any university. Why BU? Then you might want to combine some sentences like "BU also has one of the greatest internship programs, making me capable of interning for some of the top companies. This really makes me learn about how life will be after college and get a sense of the real world, so I can be prepares" You can cut down the words there because some of it is self-explanatory.

But if I were writing this essay I would focus on 1 Major interest of BU, and describe it vividly.
But its your essays. Hope my suggestions helped.
vickaay 3 / 6  
I agree. I would try to avoid all of the generic statements that don't really support your answer to the question. Write simpler, you have very little space so try to get your point across, without all of the filler stuff. Also, make sure to answer the second part of the question, about how the steps you've taken, rather than all of the good things about BU. You can probably incorporate that stuff into the 3 characteristics essay. Good Luck!
nysock 2 / 3  
"I became aware that Boston University, as one of the nation's top schools, gives me the chance to become a truly educated individual,"

I would maybe scratch this part of the essay. It feel forced and a bit too much brown nosing for my personal liking. I think that the best way to cut down and still have a meaningful essay would be to make sure that every sentence is helping you answer the question of "how you first became interested in BU and what steps you have taken to learn more about us."

all in all I enjoyed your essay and think you are off to a great start!

cheers!

Home / Undergraduate / Boston University supplement - "cheering "GO Terrier!""