WHY BOSTON UNIVERSITY? my passion for biology and experience living in a 3rd world nation

Demieymaj 1 / -  
My essay is 330 words meaning it is 80 words over the limit. Is there any way the essay can be improved and shortened without losing substance. I would really appreciate whatever help I can get.

Boston university
In no more than 250 words, please tell us why BU is a good fit for you and what specifically has led you to apply for admission.

Going to high school in a third world nation left me without many options; I grew fond of biological science but had no pathway explore my passions as extensively as I would have preferred. With little to no access to research work and wider learning, I was unable to find a niche within the biological sciences, and to possess the broad understanding of the subject I so deeply desired. It is my strong belief that the biological science department of BU will provide me with an in-depth understanding of my intended major while allowing me to study in an environment that is both academically challenging and fulfilling. The availability of a breadth of biology specialisation mayors will allow to me, the option to find a specialisation of particular interest to me in the biological sciences and dig deeper. I hope to immerse myself in research opportunities in a range of biology disciplines-the Ecuador tropical ecology program being of particular interest; Thereby, allowing myself to receive a truly multi-dimensional learning experience and accumulate the skills needed to progress onto postgraduate study.

However, I seek more than solely intellectual growth, rather, I desire an all round learning experience in an environment where I can be free from all limitations. Housing representatives of over a 100 countries, there is no doubt that at BU I will be exposed to thought-provoking interactions with individuals whose perspectives do not coincide with mine. These differing perspectives will help to shape me into the truly global citizen I aspire to be. I look to engaging in a wide range of organisational work, such the ASB program, during my stay at BU so that I may continue the legacy of contributing to the society that I started in my high school career.With Boston University's culturally rich setting, diversity, and all round excellence I know that in four years I will come out fully equipped with the skills and mindset needed to progress in my career path and future.
Ademidun, I do not see any commonalities listed between your interests in Boston University and the way the university can help you achieve your goals. There is no sense of familiarity between your endeavors in the past and your potential to excel at Boston using their existing program and other academic offerings. You are actually just talking but not answering the question directly. In fact, the reference to your third world education does not offer any solid foundation for the discussion because, as you said, you were prevented from really pursuing your passion for biology. Therefore, you need to start from scratch and try to write your response to the paper after you have done some research into the academic offerings that being a Biology major at Boston can offer you. Find some commonalities (both academic and social) that can be developed into the proper response. You will need to do some research or read a few of the Boston application essays here as examples of how you can best respond to the clear requirements of the essay. You need to show the reviewer that you are aware of the academic standards of Boston University and that you are going to match, equal, or surpass those standards, which is why you feel that Boston University is a good fit for you. It is the combination of academic and social commonalities and interests that should explain why you chose to attend Boston instead of other universities.

The current essay is not really directed towards that. Your current response shows more of how you are a beginner in Biology and you will use Boston to help you understand and learn about the course rather than using Boston as a continuing educational center that will help you to enhance what you already know about Biology and your plans to pursue specific projects or research as a student there. Which are normally the reasons why a students opts for one university over the other. You need to reflect that in your essay.

Home / Undergraduate / WHY BOSTON UNIVERSITY? my passion for biology and experience living in a 3rd world nation