CU Boulder: "Unique Essay"

sstb2113 1 / -  
So I've started this essay a couple hundred times and I'd like to get confirmation that my intro paragraph relates to the topic and is well written before I continue this time. Please, recommendations and criticism will help.

Topic:
Essay A (500 words maximum) The University of Colorado Boulder's Flagship 2030 strategic plan promotes exceptional teaching, research, scholarship, creative works, and service distinguishing us as a premier university. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive community for all that engages each member in opportunities for academic excellence, leadership, and a deeper understanding of the world in which we live. Given the statement above, how do you think you could enrich our diverse and inclusive community and what are your hopes for your college experience?

So far...
Two years ago if you asked me what made me unique, I wouldn't have had a clue. My early years of high school saw an unmotivated, boring student. But a series of events that have occurred during the past two years have changed my attitude and perspective towards the world. Changing schools, participating in a community service trip, and leaving the country for the first time all played part in the discovery of my passions and aspirations.
I'd like to get confirmation that my intro paragraph relates to the topic

The intro is most important, so it should be written last, after the body paragraphs, so that it will have inspiration and clarity that occur after you are in that deep state of mind that happens after you have gotten started writing.

Two years ago if you asked me what made me unique, I wouldn't have had a clue. ---I wonder what purpose this sentence is supposed to serve. It is not very helpful!

My early years of high school saw an unmotivated, boring student. ---not helpful!

The only part I like is the last word: aspirations. I want you to tell the reader about what you are passionate about, because passion for some purpose is what compels people to be inclusive and embrace diversity. We only isolate ourselves from others when we are not passionate enough about anything... but if you truly have passion for your purpose, your short term goals, then you will be able to write about the way your passion leads to an attitude of inclusion and appreciation for diversity. Tell about what you want to DO in these next few years, and see if that shows them a contribution you can make to their diverse community.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / CU Boulder: "Unique Essay"