Bowdoin Short Essay

ohreally 8 / 20  
Bowdoin is a liberal arts college that is unusually vibrant intellectually. Some students enter Bowdoin with a clear commitment to a particular course of study; others come considering a broader range of academic possibilities while seeking the intellectual path that most excites them. What all students will share is exposure to the breadth and depth the Bowdoin curriculum provides.

Describe what you expect your academic journey at Bowdoin to include. (Suggested length 250-500 words.)

Just as most students going to college will probably feel, college will be a new environment that involves a new setting, new people, and new experiences. In such a situation, it would be the preference for most students to make the transition easily and full of excitement. That is precisely what I expect from a prestigious college like Bowdoin. In other words, I would like to experience the full range of intellectual activities as well as the extracurricular ones, since having a variety of opportunities and choices can lead to the most excitement in a new college experience. Specifically, I would like to start by seeing what the student clubs have to offer. Because college life, for me at least, will be secluded; since I will not be living at home, clubs and extracurricular activities will be all I have to help keep me content and healthy. I also realize that my college experience will be all that I make it to become, so I know that I should try to experience all that Bowdoin has to offer. Whether it be the Bowdoin College debate Team or the Taiko Club, I'd like to seek a path that most excites my inner personality. Being a shy student all my life, I believe this is my chance to express myself the way I really am. At Bowdoin, I hope to break free from my shell and join those who share common interests and goals.

------------------------------------
Something just seemed really off when I reread my essay...
Can someone please help?
Thank you in advance!!
What seems off is the fact that the prompt asks you specifically to talk about your expectations for your academic journey, whereas you talk a lot about the importance of extracurricular activities, which has nothing really to do with the topic. Revise to focus more on what you hope to achieve academically.
We can improve this first sentence, too:

For all students, college will be an unfamiliar environment that involves new settings, people, and experiences.

Home / Undergraduate / Bowdoin Short Essay