Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Brazilian soil beneath my feet' -meaningful event that will help to contribute to UF

kottis15 1 / -  
This is my admission essay for the university of florida about a meaningful event in my life and how it will help contribute to the UF campus. I feel like it needs more explanation on how my meaningful event will contribute to UF but I don't know what to do, any comments and tips would be great! :)

I remember the day the airplane touched down, the Brazilian soil beneath my feet, the exotic animals that were vibrantly colored, and the sparkling water of the Amazon River. That day I stepped onto a medical boat that would travel down the Amazon River for ten amazing days, opening my eyes to a world I had never seen before and I returned a completely changed person.

I have always had a passion for serving others and when the opportunity to be a part of a mission trip to Brazil came up I could not refuse. The night of July 31st, a group of fifteen of us boarded the boat that would be our home for the next ten days along the Amazon River. The next morning we woke up to the hidden villages of the Amazon just waiting for help we would bring. With every village we visited the doctors on board would provide free medical checkups and perform minor procedures to the people in need. As for my job, my friends and I had the privilege of actually going into the villages and working one on one with the villagers. We would help to build churches or repair homes, play soccer with the villagers, and my favorite part was putting on a vacation bible school for the kids. During the vacation bible school I had time to connect with the children. Seeing how happy these children were with what little they had, opened my eyes to how truly blessed I am. Even though the trip had its difficult moments, just seeing the smiles on the people's faces that I came in contact with was a reward in itself.

After having taken this amazing trip to Brazil I think it has shaped me into just the kind of student the UF community is looking for. This trip taught me a great deal of responsibility and discipline, and if accepted I plan on continuing my call to serve others on and off the UF campus.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Brazilian soil beneath my feet' -meaningful event that will help to contribute to UF