'to break through, no matter what' - Me vs Me - Lessons from failure

kunaal 2 / 4 1  
The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

---

Bangalore, India, late 2012, just after 11pm: "♪ Hello darkness, my old friend, ...", I thought, as I silently made my way to dad's study, guided only by the pale moonlight streaming in through the windows. As I connected my laptop to the router using an ethernet cable; all I could hear was the sound of my heart beating.

"Thou shall not use the internet after 10pm" was the diktat from my dad a week ago, and my wifi had been shutting down automatically every night. Attempts at discussing it, debating it or even negotiating a later curfew time had not worked. I was sure this had to do with many late night gaming sessions on LoL (League Of Legends) - something that I had gotten better with every week. I had just recently achieved the bragging rights to the coveted Gold status, but this last week of inactivity was already decayed that standing down a tier.

If technology was what Dad had used to block my access, then tech was also going to help me conquer that ... I had spent all of my free time last 4-5 days reading about how networking works - ip, dhcp, dns, ... and now is when I was going to put my new found knowledge to test. My plan was simple, but it turned out that this was just the first of 12 long and sometimes frustrating night sessions as I tried to find my way back to the LoL gaming servers.

Fremont, US, late 2014: "♫ I've come to talk with you again, ..." I sang in my head, as I furiously worked at hacking the latest config on the router that my dad had updated to.

In 2013, we had moved from India to the US. Starting school here in the sophomore year made breaking into social circles harder; but I soon realized that there were 3 times more LoL players here than in India, and my expertise at it garnered respect and gained friends. It fuelled my need to get even better at LoL. I was now playing with my school friends, and getting even better than before. I had trouble falling asleep because all that was going through my mind were a myriad amount of ways of getting to the next level.

As Dad would upgrade the router, or change its config, I would often lose network access, but then would get deeper into networking, learning about MAC address cloning, virtual networks, open-dns, dhcp, etc and always manage to find a way to get my connectivity going again. This was just one more of those late night sessions, and I knew I would eventually figure out a way through those myriad access rules and config. In fact, I prided myself on being able to break through, no matter what.

By my Junior year, I had achieved Platinum-2 status - highest amongst my peers. But one other thing stood out to me - my grades were not representing what I was capable of. Back in India, I could afford to just study before the final exams at the end of the year and still get good grades, but it was clear that here I needed to work steadfastly through the year to do well, focusing on every week, quizzes, tests - everything mattered.

I was nearly at the end of the first semester of my junior year and I had no time to waste if I wanted to improve my grades, and recognized that my addiction for LoL had to be tamed.

I tried to self-police myself from LoL by limiting it to a few hours over the weekend, but it was almost impossible to keep that going for more than a week or two. I uninstalled the game a few times, only to find myself re-installing it and playing again. I felt pathetic - the longest amount of time I spent without playing it was just over a week. However, I was determined to win this battle. It was hard, but after a several futile attempts, I decided to sell off my account, so that I would have nothing to go back to. Hard as it was, it was the best thing I ever did. $110 was what it was worth in the end, if you really must know. Good riddance, finally!

I have had more time since to focus on things that matter more to me. I am working harder at school than ever before, and enjoying the challenge. I do truly rue the missed years, and wish I had given up LoL sooner. I have enjoyed seeing my grades get better and continue to stay at it. I am playing the Guitar again, finding time to go to the gym and play soccer, cooking dinner over weekends for my family, even helping my dad with network troubleshooting, and just finding more time to do the things that I should have been doing all along. I cannot roll back time, but I will make the most of what I have left. I am not proud of my LoL phase, but take pride in being able to walk myself out of that dark dungeon!

LoL taught me a valuable life lesson that I will never forget - As you go through life, keep your goals front and center. Mine was never to be a gamer, but to be a software engineer. I lost sight of it during three valuable school years, but now see my goal even clearer than ever. And find myself making up for lost time at every chance I can get.

But there is one other thing that I absolutely want to do, just as soon as I can. That is to share my example with the many other teens who may be down with similar addictions. As a volunteer counsellor, I want them to be able to recognize that price they pay for this, not just academically but also socially, with family and friends. Having been there, I can talk to them in a language they will understand - and I will want them to know that it is possible to walk away from it, and focus back on things that matter in the long term. And that while difficult, it is truly rewarding to be able to win that battle.

Much like me, they also can be everything they were meant to be. And more.
MITHALI 1 / 1  
i found a few tense errors
then tech was also going to help me retrieve it ... I had spent all of my free time in the last 4-5 days reading about how networking works - ip, dhcp, dns, ... and now was when I was going to put my new found knowledge to test.

and much more.
Kunaal, I cannot help but come to the conclusion that the essay that you wrote is not a failure - success story with a moral lesson but rather a background story that tells the reviewer about a certain character trait of yours. This essay is no more than a narrative that tells of a series of events in your life related to your interest the gaming world. This does not respond to the prompt which is asking you to tell the reviewer of a pivotal moment in time when you learned a lesson because of a failure you created. A failure that you created and had to overcome, failed to do so and thus, learned a lesson from the event.

I do not get a sense of that in this essay. My opinion is that you have to change the slant of your essay, setting this particular essay aside for a more relevant prompt topic. What the reviewer would like to get a sense of about you using this prompt, is how you respond to failure and how you deal with it. Do you recognize your failure and proceed to work on overcoming it? Are you the kind of person who learns from your mistakes and adjusts your life or attitude accordingly? How exactly do you view failure?

Throughout the essay, you spoke mostly of putting one over your father in terms of getting around the curfew he set. You recognized that you were in danger of failing and prevented that from happening. While your sense of foresight is admirable, the essay actually calls or needs you to actually fail at something you do or did in order to represent the type of response that the prompt is requiring you to present. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to try to find such an event in your life and evaluate what you learned from it. Only then will you be able to develop a proper draft response to the essay prompt.
Kunaal, I believe your essay is written well, it depicts the struggle, I would not call it a failure but a struggle that you have in order to succeed and see life as promising and full of hope that it is.

As they say, there's a light at the end of the tunnel" and I believe the essay roots from this anthem and you elaborated it very well.

You also did a good job in choosing the adjectives you use in order to describe your ideas properly.
However, I would like to suggest that you complete the words that you seem to cut or abbreviate such as, "config ",
you have to write them properly as not all of the readers will get what you mean or the idea that you are trying to convey.

Overall, as I mentioned, your essay is written well and I wish you the best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'to break through, no matter what' - Me vs Me - Lessons from failure