Breathtaking campus of medium size ; Columbia Sup/ Why Columbia?

mzontario 9 / 43  
Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.

There is not one thing that draws me to Columbia, but many.

Columbia's breathtaking campus is small enough to not feel lost in the crowd, yet large enough to meet unique people and explore NYC, from the Underbelly Project to Fort Tryon Park. From dollar pizza in Times Square to Upper East Side restaurants, and unique internships to city-wide opportunities, Columbia and its surroundings allows for a liberating balance in life.

Columbia's World Leaders Forum is something unique to the university that I find particularly inviting. As a student interested in local and global change, I can witness issues that matter to me being brought to the forefront of discussion by the world's most influential leaders and meet others who are passionate about similar causes.

Having always dreamed of writing for a university publication, I hope to draw upon my writing abilities and business background to write for Columbia Daily Spectator or the Columbia Economics Review. In addition, with my passion for social equity, especially in the LGBTQ community, I aspire to pursue my education in Columbia's open environment.

Last, at Columbia, the diversity of the Core Curriculum allows me to receive a strong liberal arts education paired with a focus in business. To balance the stressful academics, exciting traditions such as the 40s on 40s are always available to let loose. I want to attend a university that dreams as big as I do, and if my resume does not reflect that, let me show you in person.

For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest.

Ever since I could remember, I had a passion and intention to study business. I grew up surrounded by computer screens decorated with red and green numbers and jagged lines. Turns out, my dad was an avid stock trader, and I became a twelve year old who explained bonds and dividends to anyone who would listen.

When I enrolled into a business magnet school and began to take courses in marketing, finance, and entrepreneurship, the intricate workings of the global economy interested me and my love for business grew. SWOT analyses and equity statements felt pedestrian and writing business plans and participating in ventures became the norm.

In my freshman year, I joined DECA, a case-study based business competition, and my enthusiasm for business became a passion which now drives my career path. DECA helped me realize that business is not merely memorizing information but also being able to effectively communicate an idea. After travelling across Europe and Asia and emerging myself in the richness of culture and diversity, I developed a liking for global studies and decided to combine both my interests into a career in international business.

My upbringing, education, and DECA experience have all transformed my outlook on my future and my life. At Columbia College, I hope to specialize in business and through Columbia's diverse undergraduate curriculum and Study Abroad Programs, I am confident I will gain the skills and character necessary to lead a global company in the future.
zdv 12 / 68 2  
the ending of the first essay, very clever and impressive.
i think the first essay is great. with you touching on every aspect of columbia that seems inviting to you, it could not have been better.

you use "turns out"in the second essay which seems kind of informal to me.
its SWOT analysis
second essay is also great.
Overall a commendable job. i think you will be selected for your supplements if not for your scores.
OP mzontario 9 / 43  
zdv
I'll change the Turns out. : )

Thank you!

Also, analyses is the plural for analysis.
auro 1 / 3  
That essay is great; however, this is kind of sketchy..

Why is it the exact same essay, word for word, as this one?
www [dot] essayforum [dot] com/undergraduate-essays-2/world-leaders-forum-columbia-supp-columbia- 46593/

Home / Undergraduate / Breathtaking campus of medium size ; Columbia Sup/ Why Columbia?