Bridging the gaps between America and Iran - Topic E - University of Texas

MJA 2 / 7  
Hey everyone,
Here is my second required essay. I need help tying it together at the end. Any suggestions or critiques are greatly appreciated.

Prompt:

Personal Essay: Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Negative portrayals, so commonplace with the political and media elites in Iran and America, have resulted in unbridled animosity shared by the population of both countries. This negative rhetoric is mostly based on cultural misunderstandings, false assumptions or simple malevolent intent. The actions of both governments over the last 60 years has contributed to their poisonous relationship. This conflict puts Americans of Iranian descent in a sensitive position. While America is our home, most of us have extensive familial ties to Iran. It is my aim to use digital media to help overcome these feelings and foster more positive perceptions between the people of both countries.

Overwhelmingly harmful actions between America and Iran have created an atmosphere of distrust and hostility. American actions such as the overthrow of the democratically elected Mohammad Mossadegh in 1953, including Iran in the "Axis of Evil," and the tactic support some politicians give to the Mujahideen-e Khalq terrorist group have logically led the Iranians to view American overtures as suspect. Far from being the victim, Iran's own actions such as the Iran Hostage Crisis of the early 1980s, support for Hamas and Hezbollah, and anti-American rhetoric spilling out of Tehran have sown fear in the minds of many Americans. This atmosphere of hostility and suspicion has produced three decades of failed policy and missed opportunities at rapprochement by both countries.

This divide creates a lot of conflict for many Iranian-Americans. When discussing my heritage with Americans, I feel the need represent a more balanced view of Iran to a society that holds deep-rooted apprehensions toward the Islamic Republic. Conversely, while visiting Iran, I try to show that American life is much more similar to Iranian life than many would believe. These similarities are especially visible among young people whose primary concerns are universally shared. I believe, as someone who can easily cross the cultural gap, I have a greater ability to represent a more realistic and positive portrayal of the lives of ordinary citizens.

The rapid popularization of new media, brought about by the ubiquitous accessibility of global communications, has opened a vast marketplace of ideas and cultural exchange unknown only a decade ago. Current events can be transmitted, almost instantly, around the world, allowing people far removed to feel connections to places and events they will never witness fist hand. This new technology provides a great medium for me to share my experiences with a global audience. One where I can hopefully help people understand "They" are not so different from "Us."
ralph_rodgers /  
This essay is not personal at all. I don't see how this has any personal significance to you. This essay is more of a historical commentary. How does this relate to you? Why are you passionate about this specific topic? Talk about you.

I'm not trying to be harsh. :) I really want you to get in and want UT see your passion. I actually go there and I know that the liberal arts program are obsessed with passion and who you are.
ralph_rodgers /  
Wow!!! This essay is waaaaaaay better. I really like it. You still managed to provide historical background but merged it with who you are. I like the use of "we," "us," "my." I now see how you can connect to the situation. You addressed how the gap is significant to you.

I can actually relate to what you are saying being that I am Indian. Unfortunately, "They" have a tendency to group all of "us" as being "Brown" people from South and Middle East Asia. I can see this even with the Indian culture.

More suggestions:
1) In the 3rd paragraph, talk about how you can portray the lives of ordinary citizens. Why is it that you can cross the cultural gap so easily? What can you bring to each culture? I know it may seem obvious that an Iranian-American has a lifestyle that merges both cultures, but how can you help others see the bridge between both cultures.

2) The conclusion is a little weird for me. I feel like media was thrown in the essay. Come up with a translation between the third paragraph and the conclusion. Again, how will you use this sort of technology to bridge the gap? Will you start a blog? etc...

Overall, the essay has a good framework. It has enough historical information. Now involve yourself with the history. Merging what you want to do with historical information shows that you are passionate about this topic. It shows that you don't want to just sit in class and memorize information about Middle-Eastern studies, but that you can apply knowledge and live it.
...shared by the populations of both countries.

The actions of both governments over the last 60 years has have contributed to their poisonous relationship. ---good sentence!

a greater ability to represent a more realistic and positive portrayal of the lives of ordinary citizens.--Very interesting! I think this must be true.

Great ending, too. You must be very interested in what is happening there this week!

Home / Undergraduate / Bridging the gaps between America and Iran - Topic E - University of Texas