"I can bring my plenty" - Florida State University Undergraduate Admission Essay

Cute4life14 1 / 1  
This is the prompt:Your essay should be no longer than 500 words.

For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life."

Vires, Artes, & Mores
Florida State University abides itself by these three Latin words; Vires, Artes, and Mores. Translated and explained as strength, skill, and character. I know I posses these three traits. I just had to search deep for them.

At the end of my sophmore year, I began an inward journey of really finding myself, establishing who I am to be in this world, and learning more about my culture. I have Jamaican heritage in me but grew up in Florida. Although my mother has taught me a great deal about the culture, I never really felt immersed in it. Being on this journey, I dedicated myself to feel more apart and really understand the culture. I began listening to reggae artists such as Movado, Damian Marley, Jah Vinci, and Black Ryno. The lyrics told me a different story with each new song. Some songs explaining the pain and violence of growing up in the ghetto parts of Jamaica, and other songs explaining joy , pride and strength. In May 2009, I attended the Best of the Best concert which is a huge concert held every year in Miami with popular reggae artists. As soon as I stepped on the park grounds I was immersed in the culture immediately. The aroma of spiced jerk chicken and oxtail filled the air. I purchased a Jamaican flag and other cultural items and proceeded with my friend Nicole to the crowd. Once in our place we listened, laughed , danced, and waved our flags in the air with everyone else. Towards the end of the concert when night fell and the moon was shining, Movado came out to play the last song . Once "So blessed" started I remember raising my flag up to the sky swaying it from side to side ,singing the lyrics and just being in the vibe of things. Thats when I felt the feeling of unity and pride of my culture, my mores.

On this journey, my personality traits became more apparent to me. I've noticed that Im an extremely curious person. I'm always inquiring about new information and looking for deeper meaning in what I'm presented with. My friends also tell me that I'm a great listener. I love psychology and plan to pursue my dream career as a psychiatrist. Having my listening skills and abundant curious will enable me to search deep into one's mind and unfold all the stories behind that person, my artes.

My favorite quote is "Hope is the dream of a soul awake". I believe that with hope you can get anywhere in life. This is my vires, my moral strength. I know I will continue to always hope for the better because even when you have absolutely nothing left, hope will always be that tiny light shining in ones soul. Throughout my journey, I have learned plenty about myself, and I know that if I attend Florida State University I can bring my plenty, and make my dreams come true.

-Please let me know what I need to work on =)
sweetchic6893 2 / 3  
Cute4life14
I have Jamaican heritage in me (add comma) but grew up in Florida.

explain more about your curiosity, and how it led you to psychiatry

in your conclusion, what exactly did you learn about yourself?

overall, good starting essay.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
This is so much more interesting than most of the "Vires, Artes, Mores" essays we see! You did a great job of including vivid details to keep the reader's interest. If you do have room, add another sentence specifying what you hope to do in the field of psychology or psychiatry (they are different.)

I know I will continue to always hope for the better because even when you have absolutely nothing left, hope will always be that tiny light shining in ones soul.

Use either "you" or "one" but not both in one sentence.
OP Cute4life14 1 / 1  
thanks for the compliments and the help.im going to try and change a few things.

Home / Undergraduate / "I can bring my plenty" - Florida State University Undergraduate Admission Essay