Brown supplement essays (biology and medicine)

t3h50 2 / 7  
Any revision suggestions are welcome.

1. Tell us about the academic areas that interest you most and your reasons for applying to Brown. (1600 characters max)

[Do I need to talk more about the academic areas that interest me most, or is what I have sufficient?]

My main academic interests lie in biology and medicine, although I also have personal interests in other areas, such as music and photography. Brown's Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) appeals to me, as it will not only make sure that I am sufficiently prepared for a career in medicine but will also allow me to pursue other interests at the same time. As a student who plans to continue to medical school but does not believe that specialization should restrict exploration of other areas, the PLME is an invaluable opportunity. My interests will mostly likely expand during my time in college, so I can benefit from the Brown Curriculum, which enables each student to take control of his or her own education. Because Brown does not have distribution requirements, students are able to take classes regarding subjects in which they find genuine interest; consequently, classes tend to be more engaging and efficient. I view the Brown Curriculum as an invitation to be self-exploratory during my college years. I want to be able to allow my curiosity to lead me into classes simply because I find them interesting; at the same time, I want to trust myself to be mature enough to make responsible decisions. In addition, I admire and desire to be a part of an open-minded school environment that values individuality over conformity and collaboration over competition. Due to these features, I am confident that Brown can provide me with a rewarding college experience.

2. How did you become interested in Brown, e.g., college counselor, undergraduate, relative, web site? (900 characters max)

[As I already explained why I am interested in Brown in the first essay, for this one I simply talked about how I learned about it. Does the short anecdote in the beginning serve any desirable purpose, or should I delete it? I'm not sure that part says anything that the adcoms will actually care about.]

I first heard about Brown in a casual conversation with a friend, who mentioned that John Krasinski-better known as The Office's Jim Halpert-graduated from a highly selective school called Brown. "Wow, I guess I need to start studying a whole lot more so I can go to Brown to meet smart, attractive guys like him," I joked at the time, although truthfully, I had no interest in the school since I knew nothing about it. However, the conversation planted the school's name in my mind. Years later, as I began my college search, I was reminded of its existence when I saw its name in a college guide book. Out of curiosity, I dove into the school's website. The personal testimonies of the students and faculty found on the website introduced me to the wonders of Brown and convinced me of the validity of Chris Berman's prediction: "...If you come to Brown, you'll love it for the rest of your life."
Both essay are solid. One minor grammatical point, though, dual verbs that have different prepositional structures should not be combined. So: "in addition, I desire to be a part of an open-minded school environment that values individuality over conformity and collaboration over competition."
My main academic interests lie in biology and medicine, although I also have personal interests in other areas, such as music and photography. Brown's Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) appeals to me, as it will not only make sure that I am sufficiently prepared for a career in medicine but will also enable me to pursue other interests at the same time. As a student who plans to continue to medical school but does not believe that specialization should restrict exploration of other areas, the PLME is an invaluable opportunity.

Wow, this is REALLY well-written! please check out the EF cotributor page (link at the bottom of the screen)

My interests are mostly likely to expand during my time in college, so I can benefit from the Brown Curriculum, which enables each student to take control of his or her own education. Because Brown does not have distribution requirements, students are able to take classes regarding subjects in which they find genuine interest; consequently, classes tend to be more engaging and efficient. I view the Brown Curriculum as an invitation to be self-exploratory during my college years. I want to be able to allow my curiosity to lead me into classes simply because I find them interesting; at the same time, I want to trust myself to be mature enough to make responsible decisions. In addition, I admire and desire to be a part of an open-minded school environment that values individuality over conformity and collaboration over competition. Due to these features, I am confident that Brown can provide me with a rewarding college experience.

Home / Undergraduate / Brown supplement essays (biology and medicine)