Brown "environmental issues": Why drawn to these academic fields?

apservello 3 / 10  
Prompt: Why are you drawn to the academic fields selected? (Those fields being urban studies and environmental science.)

I have always been drawn to environmental issues and feel a sense of responsibility toward the well-being of the planet and its inhabitants. The Earth is our home; it is all that we have. We take from it, often without giving very much back. My interest lies in urban sustainability, in the concept of arranging human society in such a way that each person needs, and therefore uses, less. More and more people move to metropolitan areas each year for a variety of reasons; I believe that examining these factors is an important consideration in the future of human society. Our ever-increasing population cannot be sustained under current natural resource conditions, and we need to find a way to arrange our society so that we may continue to live our lives without depleting all of our resources. I hope to synthesize these two topics and study the environmental considerations necessary to sustainable urban functions.

^Just looking for a little feedback on this. Thanks!
swoosh18 4 / 40  
Instead of this: "in such a way that each person needs, and therefore uses, less."
Maybe say this "in such a way that each person needs less , and therefore uses, less."
I think it's clearer.

I'm guessing this essay is supposed to be about 200 words.
OP apservello 3 / 10  
Ah, yes, I forgot about that. I'm allowed to use up to 1000 characters, but the prompt says that I should "feel free to write less." I have about 78 characters left as it is.

Thanks so much!

Home / Undergraduate / Brown "environmental issues": Why drawn to these academic fields?