Brown Supplement: First Part of Engineering Supplemental

allathlete5 5 / 19  
Prompt: Many applicants to college are unsure about eventual majors. What factors led you to an interest in the field of Engineering?

My Grandpa was a computer engineer. He worked for Northrop Aircraft developing the B-2 Bomber. Studying computer science and programming, he taught himself the technology used in both hardware and software.

In seventh grade I was intrigued by computers for the first time. My grandfather decided to help me assemble a computer for that Christmas. He had me do all the research on components, only giving me necessary advice from time-to-time. Having finished the first step, I began to assemble the components together. Instead of telling me specifically what to do, he only walked me through each step. He gave me the advice I needed, and counseled me. Because of his encouragement, I was able to install the CPU, even being nervous. However, a few months after our completion of the project, he passed away. Even though this devastated me for weeks, I clearly understood that my grandpa wanted me to be strong and achieve more in this field. This is exactly what I have done now. He tried his best to inspire me to understand computers. Now, this inspiration has turned into a love for computers.

It just does not seem very well written to me! does anyone have some advice on putting what I mean into more of an understandable essay? or any grammar issues or anything!

Any advice would be helpful =)
ivyeyesediting - / 85  
Hi Bob :) What's the word limit here? This will give us a better sense of what can be done to expand upon what you've written.
OP allathlete5 5 / 19  
Okay so here is my new edit thanks to longyue!! thanks alot for the help! =)

What's the word limit here? This will give us a better sense of what can be done to expand upon what you've written.

For this part of the supplement I have to write three seperate short answer essays.. here is the prompt..
To be completed by applicants whose primary interest is Engineering; please check the box and address each question separately. We also suggest limiting your total response to 500 words.

1. Many applicants to college are unsure about eventual majors. What factors led you to an interest in the field of Engineering?

2. What experiences beyond school work have broadened your interest in Engineering?

3. Brown offers programs in Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering. Because there is a common core curriculum within Engineering, students need not select a specific area until their junior year. We are curious to know, however, if any particular program within Engineering presently appeals to you. If so, please discuss that choice.

IF anyone else has any kind of advise I would greatly appreciate it! from grammar to structure and any IDEAS =))
Don't hyphenate time to time.

...help me assemble a computer as his way of giving me a Christmas present. for that Christmas. ----> sounds like he has been a wise teacher to you.

No need for this sentence I'll cross out:
Instead of telling me specifically what to do, he only walked me through each step. He gave me the advice I needed and counseled me. Because of his encouragement, I was able to install the CPU, despite my nervousness.
nbajxe123 - / 1  
What is the difference between the Brown question
"Why are you drawn to the academic fields you indicated in the Anticipated Degree and Academic Interest questions above?"
and this [why] engineering supplemental question?
shinhwab 3 / 8  
that is the question i have.... right now.... did you find it yet? nbajxe123
I don't think there is any real difference. They want you to explain your interest in your chosen field. Some students are just being blown in the wind, not really caring, while other students are very determined to make a big contribution to a particular field. This is where they find out what kind of student you are.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Brown Supplement: First Part of Engineering Supplemental