Brown is perfect for me! — Why Brown supplement

anna123 8 / 14 3  
What do you hope to experience at Brown through the Open Curriculum, and what do you hope to contribute to the Brown community? (250 word limit)

Any comments, discussions, questions, criticism appreciated!

i can make my own curriculum

During my senior year, I conducted an comparative study of Japanese and American history textbooks, albeit struggling with the limited resources, mentorship, and knowledge of a high school student. My research is incomplete, and I wish to deepen my analysis at college. Since my research is interdisciplinary, requiring sociological, historical, and psychological perspectives, the Open Curriculum is the perfect match: courses provided by the educational department including Analysis of Teaching providing me with base, East Asian history courses helping me delve into historical backgrounds, and Developmental Psychology courses allowing me to consider the effectiveness of textbooks in education. Brown is the only university allowing me to create my own curriculum around my desire to analyze education from an international comparative perspective, while satisfying my curiosity for other unexplored areas such as neurology and creative writing.

I also have a specific frugality for food; I am that person who agitates over a single grain of rice left on the plate. At Brown, I wish to do more than patrol through the cafeteria, yelling at people to finish their food. I aspire to create a club dedicated to decrease food waste called the Mottainai-club after the unique Japanese word blending the concepts of saving and not wasting. We would tally the amount of food wasted each week, and aim to reduce food waste by setting a quota, perhaps under emPOWER and in collaboration with SCRAP. I am sure that my passion for food and strong Mottainai mentality would enable me to make a positive change in the world, starting at Brown.
Anna, what was the purpose of your high school research? Why should the reviewer be interested to know that you plan to continue the research as a student at Brown? What is the importance of your research in a US education based setting? These two questions need to be answered so that you can properly explain how the open curriculum will help you develop a different learning experience. What is the final purpose of your research? Do you have any idea as to how your research will contribute to the Brown community? Work up a connection between your expectations of the Brown Open Curriculum and your contribution to heightening the profile of Brown through your college research. That way you can entice the reviewer to consider the possible benefits that Brown may gain from accepting you as a student at the university.

Home / Undergraduate / Brown is perfect for me! — Why Brown supplement