Brown PLME- What type of curriculum I will design for myself

saad91 3 / 4  
Hi, Please look over this essay and critique it harshly! Thanks!

Since the Program in Liberal Medical Education espouses a broad-based liberal education, please describe your fields of interest in both the sciences and the liberal arts. Be specific about what courses and aspects of the program will be woven into a potential educational plan.

As much as I enjoy the sciences, I find that staring at chemical formulas or memorizing human body parts everyday for hours is a drag. That is why whenever I have English or Philosophy, I feel that I can relax a bit and let my mind roam freely. I would like to have the same feeling at Brown, which is why they are offering me the flexible option of choosing my own curriculum. Since I would like to pursue a career in medicine, I chose to earn a degree in science. To balance my heavy science load, I decided to focus a lot on Economics and International Relations. The reason for choosing these two liberal arts fields is that I have never taken economics in high school, and I feel that international relations can complement my experience in Model UN.

Economics is a field that can help me in any future business studies that I wish to pursue. Since I have never taken economics, I would start out with ECON 0110- Principles of Economics. As the course description suggests, it is a great class for students who "want a broad introduction to the discipline." Another course that interests me is ECON 0510- Development and the International Economy. Coupled with my interest in International Relations, this course will provide me with a broad view of what the economy of Lesser Developed Nations is like, and make me think critically on how these economies can be incorporated in the world market.

My extensive experience in MUN shows my interest in International Relations. However, my knowledge about international law is very limited and this was a disadvantage for me when it came to debating. So to make up for this loss, I want to take INTL 1801A- International Law and the Third World. This course will introduce the concept of international law and how it applies to Third World nations. In addition, this course can complement my studies in economics by allowing me to make a link between how Third World countries' economies are affected by global policies.

I am interested in the above courses, but will still maintain my focus on the sciences. I would like to gain a degree in Human Biology after my undergraduate studies. To achieve this goal, I will take BIOL 0510- Introduction to Microbiology. This course basically encompasses the various ways in which microbes are related to human health and biotechnology. This course can eventually lead me to study epidemiology in medical school. In addition, two courses that I find are related to epidemiology are BIOL 0530- Principles of Immunology and BIOL 0180- The Biology of AIDS. These two courses will help me learn about how our immune system works in general and specifically when confronted by the HIV virus. The latter course can help me pursue an independent study to understand more about AIDS.

The courses mentioned above are just a small sample of what my undergraduate schedule will look like at Brown. I hope to take introductory classes to concepts that are quite significant in the world, such as economics in business. I will also be able to keep in touch with my MUN background by taking courses in international relations. However, due to my goal in becoming a doctor, my concentration will be in pre-med courses such as immunology and the Biology of AIDS. I am confident that with this curriculum I will be a better learner.
Nazerkem 1 / 7  
Although I like sciences very much , I find that staring at chemical formulas or memorizing human body parts everyday for hours is a drag. That is why whenever I have English or Philosophy, I feel that I can relax a bit and let my mind roam freely.I would like to have the same feeling at Brown and they are offering me flexible option of choosing my own curriculum . Since I would like to pursue a career in medicine, I chose to earn a degree in science. In order To balance my heavy science load, I decided to focus a lot on Economics and International Relations. The reason for choosing these two liberal arts fields is that I have never taken economics in high school, and I feel that international relations can complement my experience in Model UN.

Economics is a field that can help me in any future business studies that I wish to pursue. Since I have never taken economics, I would start out with ECON 0110- Principles of Economics. As the course description suggests, it is a great class for students who "want a broad introduction to the discipline." Another course that interests me is ECON 0510- Development and the International Economy. Coupled with my interest in International Relations, this course will provide me with a broad view of what theeconomies of less Developed Nations are like, and make me think critically on how these economies can be incorporated in the world market.

My extensive experience in MUN shows my interest in International Relations. However, my knowledge about international law is very limited and this was a disadvantage for me on the debates . So to make up for this loss, I want to take INTL 1801A- International Law and the Third World. This course will introduce the concept of international law and how it applies to Third World nations. In addition, this course can complement my studies in economics by allowing me to make a link between how Third World countries' economies are affected by global policies.

Even though I am interested in the courses mentioned above, I will still maintain my focus on the sciences. I would like to gain a degree in Human Biology after my undergraduate studies. To achieve this goal, I will take BIOL 0510- Introduction to Microbiology. This course basically encompasses the various ways in which microbes are related to human health and biotechnology. This course can eventually lead me to study epidemiology in medical school. Moreover, I have found two more courses that are related to epidemiology and they are: BIOL 0530- Principles of Immunology and BIOL 0180- The Biology of AIDS. These two courses will help me learn about how our immune system works in general and specifically when confronted by the HIV virus. The latter course can help me pursue an independent study to understand more about AIDS.

Hope it will help you.
could you please give me a feedback on my essay?

Home / Undergraduate / Brown PLME- What type of curriculum I will design for myself