Brown PLME - Since I could walk and talk, I have always aspired to be a doctor.

Ruxi 3 / 5 1  
Do you feel my essay answers the question? Additionally are there any sentences that are hard to read/don't make sense? Any grammatical corrections and any suggestions on how to improve the essay would be greated appreciated :)

2. Since the Program in Liberal Medical Education espouses a broad-based liberal education, please describe your fields of interest in both the sciences and the liberal arts. Be specific about what courses and aspects of the program will be woven into a potential educational plan. (Please limit your response to this question to 500 words.)

Since I could walk and talk, I have always aspired to be a doctor. However, I have discovered additional interests throughout my educational journey thus far. Along with science, which would be my main area of study, I also have a great interest in music. Truthfully, I could have a hundred undergraduate degrees and still find courses that interest me. Nevertheless, since my time as an undergraduate is finite, I plan to make the most of my undergraduate degree by pursuing all passions that I have discovered hitherto.

In the field of science, the complexities of the human body fascinate me like nothing else I have encountered so far in my academic journey. Genetics particularly mesmerize me; I find it incredibly interesting how different combinations of four nitrogenous bases dictate the whole of a person's genetic makeup. As such, I would be interested in taking both the "Genetics" and "Molecular Genetics" courses at Brown while I am pursuing a concentration in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I am also quite interested in Neuroscience and would therefore take "Principles of Neurobiology" to understand the fundamentals processes of the brain. I find science especially appealing as a field of study because the field is always evolving, new discoveries are made every day, and I will never run out of new ideas of explore.

As much as I enjoy the sciences, having a creative outlet such as music is what keeps me sane. I have been playing the piano for 12 years now, 9 of which comprised of formal study with a teacher. However, for the past 3 years, my musical education has been exclusively self-directed. Concurrently, it is within these last 3 years that I have come to appreciate my passion of playing the piano. Music provides me with an outlet to express myself that simultaneously revitalizes me. Of the music courses that Brown offers, "Theory of Tonal Music", "Advanced Musicianship", "Baroque and Classical Music", and "Romantic and Modern Music" are all incredibly appealing to me. I would love to find a way to combine my passions of science and music during my time at Brown. If fact, I have been entertaining the idea of potentially researching ways in which music affects cognitive development.

In summation, I feel the PLME program would be perfect fit for me because it encourages a true liberal education. I have developed two distinct passions thus far, with additional passions I do not have room to mention, and I do not want to be limited in my options of study during my undergraduate degree. I feel cutting myself off from either my scientific or artistic interests would be detriment to my education. I am confident the PLME program would allow me to pursue all my passions while preparing for and receiving a world-class medical education. The opportunity to construct my own academic path will ensure that I find harmony between my musical passions and my desire to become a successful physician.
sailorjea 1 / 2  
So far, I have not found any grammatical errors. If you want to decrease any length, usually the words "but" or "that" can go. Overall, I think the essay is really good! Plus your honesty is meaningful. Your love for science and music really does tie the knot for liberal arts and sciences. I really like it :) I really hope you get in! Best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Brown PLME - Since I could walk and talk, I have always aspired to be a doctor.