Brown Suppliment, my mom

mlmlfp 1 / -  
Please tell us more about your interest in Brown: Why does Brown appeal to you as a college option? Who or what has influenced your decision to apply?

As soon as I stepped into the admissions office at Brown University, my Mom handed me the most recent issue of the student-published Brown Jug. Before my information session had even begun I had perused and often laughed out loud at most of its contents. And by the time the tour came around, I had already finished it and had set my mind on being a part of it. Since I was a kid I have been reading political satire, such as The Onion, and I have always dreamed of one day creating political and social satire for people to enjoy. Not only did The Brown Jug show me that by going to Brown I would be able to be a part of that humor I love, but it also gave me a glimpse into the typical Brown persona. It showed me that the typical Bruonian isn't just a hard working student set on graduation and getting a good job; these are people who love to apply their wit and brainpower to create something intellectual and funny. Most of all, a look through The Brown Jug showed me, on a smaller scale, what the experience at Brown University would be like. It showed me that creative, fun-loving people lie at the heart of the school. It showed me that I could let my creativity in writing flow through this magazine or whatever other means I desire. But most of all, a read through The Brown Jug inspired me to apply to this amazing University and go at it with everything I've got.

I need to cut this down to 1000 Characters from 1,381. Any Suggestions?
mmmargarita 10 / 79  
As soon as I stepped into the admissions office at Brown University, my Mom handed me the most recent issue of the student-published Brown Jug. Before my information session had even begun I had perused and often laughed out loud at most of its contents. And by the time the tour came aroundbegan , I had already finished it and had set my mind on being a part of it. Since I was a kid I have been reading political satire, such as The Onion, and I have always dreamed of one day creating political and social satire for people to enjoy.

There you go for starters. You can go through the rest of your essay and eliminate all the unecessary words. A lot of the time you can get your idea across in a much more succint manner.
sammiepuddle 5 / 15  
Your first 2 or 3 sentences are really awkward. But your writing gets better as the paragraph progresses.
I would not say "go at it with everything i've got" at the end because it is an expression of sorts, at least in my opinion. There are other ways to get the same point across and with less characters too!

other then those few things, this is great!
great job (:

Home / Undergraduate / Brown Suppliment, my mom