Brown is the only university of it's calibre where hip-hop is incorporated into Africana Studies.

benngirl 2 / -  
Please tell us more about your interest in transferring. Why does Brown appeal to you as a college option? Who or what has influenced your decision to apply? (250 word limit)

I came across a hip-hop lecture hosted at Cornell University by Tricia Rose on YouTube. I researched Rose after being so impressed by her intellectual understanding of hip-hop. I found that Rose is a professor in the Africana Studies department at Brown, and that Brown is the only university of it's calibre where hip-hop is incorporated into Africana Studies.

Brown has everything that I'm looking for in a college academically and socially. Brown's educational structure is interdisciplinary, strong in my areas of interest and openly allows me to connect the worlds of music, science and Africana studies. I can study music with a focus in computer music and multimedia, while assuring my theoretical and practical music skills are honed as I blossom into a well-rounded musician. The leading Africana Studies faculty are dedicated to the educational prosperity of the black community, and display a thorough understanding of the importance education in systematic oppression, race issues and African history have in the advancement of black society. Brown's School of Engineering will allow me to take the mechanical and computer engineering classes necessary for me to take the world of music technology by storm. The exceptional Engineering department holds a plethora of world-class resources and research facilities to assist in chiseling my ideas and manifesting my vision.

Brown has over three-hundred clubs and organisations. A Capella, Daily Herald, The Brown Noser and the Swearer Center for Public Service particularly arouse my interest.

My favourite teddy as a child was a brown bear.

Please give feedback and your general thoughts. Thanks!
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

This is a good start explaining what Brown U can offer you. To make it fully effective, you need to show why you need to transfer. This is done by illustrating the shortfalls of your current program or if you are graduating, why Brown and not a local 4 year university. Furthermore, your understanding of the Africana Studies Facility might be a bit too pointed. On their website they state; "The Brown University department of Africana Studies is dedicated to the critical examination of the theoretical, historical, literary, and artistic developments of the various cultures of Africa and the African Diaspora." Your statement here should match this as closely as possible. - Admissions Advice Online

Home / Undergraduate / Brown is the only university of it's calibre where hip-hop is incorporated into Africana Studies.