Brown University Undergrad. Short Essays

mcooley 3 / 6 1  
Any helpful tips or critiques are greatly appreciated, as I'm submitting my application tonight! thanks :)

Why are you drawn to the area(s) of study you indicated earlier in this application? If you are "undecided" or not sure which Brown concentrations match your interests, consider describing more generally the academic topics or modes of thought that engage you currently. (150 word limit)

Mathematics and biology have always been the subjects I enjoyed the most and still continue to study, even when I am not in school. Practically all my life, I have questioned new topics until I fully understood them, and math and science both allow me to develop my investigative persona. Whether it be in calculus examples or biology labs, my curious approach to new material allows me to develop new perspectives on the subject and apply the topic to completely different matters in the future. Additionally, an interdisciplinary major in mathematics and science would strengthen my future performance as a doctor, as I would have a more knowledgeable background in more than one sole topic. Helping my community through medicine has been a life-long dream for me and this major would enhance my performance in medical school and allow me to approach medicine from new perspectives. (146 words)

Why Brown? (100 word limit)

Freedom. If I were admitted, Brown would provide me the perfect amount of educational freedom in my college experience. Its unique open curriculum would allow me to branch out from my normal math/science and open me up to new subjects that I never was able to take previously due to core requirements, like interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics and Humanities courses. Additionally, Brown's extensive study abroad programs (especially in Spanish-speaking countries) would give me the choice to broaden my education, including perspectives from a completely different part of the world and allow me to become a stronger, individual leader of my community. (100 words)

Tell us where you have lived - and for how long - since you were born; whether you've always lived in the same place, or perhaps in a variety of places. (100 word limit)

All my life, I have lived in Hillsborough. While I have traveled to several other states and countries, I always come back to the same home. After visiting other communities, I finally began to appreciate my hometown. Sure, it is not the City of Light, but I have friends I have known for a decade, I have safety, and I have a true sense of community. As a child, I loved the idea of living in a large city, but there is something comforting in knowing my neighbors, in having block parties, that I will never want to give up. (100 words)

We all exist within communities or groups of various sizes, origins, and purposes; pick one and tell us why it is important to you, and how it has shaped you. (100 word limit)

I live in the tiny town of Hillsborough. No one knows where it is unless they have lived here at some point. Despite my occasional longing to live in a bustling metropolitan city, my little suburbia provided me something that I could not have gotten anywhere else: relationships. Dozens of my friends and I all have all gone to school together, and not just high school- many of us have known each other since elementary school. Because of this small town, I have gotten to maintain life-long friendships with people that I would have grown apart from in larger cities. (100 words)
aml 2 / 5  
They're all good; I didn't catch any grammatical mistakes. My only criticism would be that your 3rd and 4th supplements are similar and I think the 4th one loses the significance it could have had. Maybe you could write about culture since you mentioned Spanish speaking countries (that peaked my interest to your nationality).

Good luck!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Brown University Undergrad. Short Essays