Personal essay - Bucknell university. The red ribbon.

dark horse 4 / 7  
This essay is a bit long but please give some time to read it and give comments.

The red ribbon

At ten minutes past one, I tied my shoelace tightly and folded my white socks so it would not look too long. I sat for a while on my bed. My breath was long and heavy. I could feel the chemical change in my body suddenly giving me goose bumps. A tinkling feeling in my stomach soon followed it; therefore, I ran towards the rest room. I came out and looked at my watch. 10 minutes left. From the corridor window of the girls' hostel, I could still hear the faint melody that was being played in the ground by the school band.

I thought to go and tell the coach that I had a severe headache so that I could skip the race. However, this was the last tournament of the year, and the first time I was going to participate in a track event at Budhanilkantha School. The first year had gone in freshman introduction to rules and a long list of syllabus to cover. Besides, seniors were always there to help with the participation; however, now being a senior my self felt good .I looked at my watch. 5 minutes left. I took off my spectacles and cleaned it. I made it sure that it would not fall. Then in a slow pace, I went towards the ground. There was a huge crowd of students around the track. Each of them was wearing his/her respective house shirt. From a distant, it seemed like a beautiful piece of mosaic. Everyone there knew who would win. I knew it too. It was not I. Nevertheless, I still did not give up. After all, all those long hours of daily marathon practice, which I had to undergo in my previous secondary school had made me tough and gave me a reason to try.

I got the third lane of the track. I positioned myself and waited for the handclasps to bang. For the first time in my life, despite having participated in several sports events, I felt restless and nervous. To relief the tension, my thoughts desperately started to wander about unconnected ideas. The Physics numerical that I had to practice for the class test, the unfinished report of the junior hostel surveillance (which was one of the important duties to be done by a school prefect by the end of each month), the math chapters that I had to tutor the two junior students. And Bang! The race had begun.

My glasses started to shake as I ran .My vision was bit vague, however, I was very cautious not to cross my lane. After a while, everything around me went in a silent mode. I just saw the faint line ahead of me that appeared to be red. I ran fast. Every time I blinked, I saw myself nearer to the ribbon.I ran faster. The cheering then grew into a scream and began to hit my ears. I do not know exactly when the ribbon fell because at that moment, it was the only thing, which made no noise.

I was tired. Every bit of energy in me had been drained off. The heat inside my body made my lungs boil. When I was desperately waiting for someone to give me water, instead I felt a cool hand holding my right arm and shout, "First". My thirst was quenched by then.

It was neither a national tournament nor any inter school competition. It was just an intra-school 100m race. By the end of the day, I was given a certificate and some applaud. For many people, it may not be a significant achievement; however, for me, every time, I remember it, I smile to myself - After all, it was worth something. It was worth a try.
...stomach soon followed it; therefore I ran towards the rest room. I came out and looked at my watch -- ten minutes left.

...senior myself felt good. I looked at my watch -- five minutes left. I took off my spectacles, cleaned them, and made it sure they were secured to my head unable to fall off during the race.

From a distance , it seemed like...

Nice! I'm glad you won. Good luck in school!!

Home / Undergraduate / Personal essay - Bucknell university. The red ribbon.