Buddism, Christianinty - UC prompt #2

jobanana 1 / 1  
I'm not sure if i addressed the prompt well enough. Thank you so much for your help/advice.

Prompt #2

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are? *

During my childhood, I became accustomed to the smell of burning incense lingering at a Buddhist temple. My Buddhist parents taught me to bow down and pray to Buddha. I obediently listened to my parents and gave devotions to Buddha, though I was bewildered as to what I was doing and why I was doing it. I had numerous questions and concerns running through my mind such as, "What is my purpose praying to Buddha?" and "Why am I practicing something that I don't understand?" Many times I asked my parents; however, they would reply by telling me to "listen to your elders and simply do what you are told."

As I got older and entered high school, I learned more about myself and my own desire for spirituality but lacked any type of connection with Buddha. I felt that I was raised to practice something that my parents believed in but had no connection to me.

One day I came home from school and found a Bible and other literature that my sister brought home from her Lutheran church. I grew curious and decided to open the Bible and pamphlet. I wanted to discover what Christianity was all about. A desire grew inside me to learn more about God; however, I struggled internally at the fact that I was brought up as a Buddhist. I was uncertain and especially afraid of how my parents would react. They are very strict in their beliefs and I didn't want to disobey them. I wanted to be true to myself in what I believed in, so I decided to make a difficult yet worthwhile decision to study Christianity. I knew that my parents would be angry if I discontinued following Buddhist traditions and teachings but I had a desire for greater truth.

Since agreeing to attend church with my sister and brother-in-law, my spirituality has changed profoundly for the better. I was finally able to experience the comfort, love, and strong connection with God. I finally discovered that I could achieve salvation by having faith in God. When it was time for me to make the decision to get baptized, I wanted to accept in a heartbeat but I struggled knowing that I had to do so without telling my parents. There was no way that they would understand.

The decision to get baptized was a difficult one but I agreed to receive it. I discovered that it is time for me to think for myself, and accept what God is giving me. After receiving my baptism, I felt a great sense of joy. After having the opportunity to get baptized, I went on to Bible study and receiving my confirmation. Each time I attended Bible study was a chance for me to strengthen my faith and to make the most of this gift.

Through this experience, I am most proud of staying true to what i believed in.
nevabressler - / 20  
I could find no technical mistakes, and enjoyed reading this. You might add something to the end about how your life is touched and enriched by both Buddhism and Christianity, and that you are happy to have followed that little voice inside you!

Neva
OP jobanana 1 / 1  
thank you so much!
Yes, you write without errors!

Here is something I can improve:

The decision to get baptized was a difficult one, but I agreed to receive it. I discovered that it was time for me to think for myself, and to accept what God is giving me. After receiving my baptism, I felt a great sense of joy. After having the opportunity to get baptized, I went on to Bible study and receiving my confirmation. Each time I attended Bible study was another chance for me to strengthen my faith and to make the most of this gift.

Home / Undergraduate / Buddism, Christianinty - UC prompt #2