How buildings influenced my thinking - UT architecture application

natpradere 1 / -  
question:
Personal interaction with objects, images and spaces can be so powerful as to change the way one thinks about particular issues or topics. For your intended area of study (architecture, art history, design, studio art, visual art studies/art education), describe an experience where instruction in that area or your personal interaction with an object, image or space effected this type of change in your thinking. What did you do to act upon your new thinking and what have you done to prepare yourself for further study in this area?

This is only the start:

My visit to the Alhambra triggered my interest in architecture. Walking through the 14th century palace and fortress, I recognised the details that changed my way of thinking. The building communicated ideas and used the structure control my thoughts and emotions.

Through the entrance and into The Patio de los Arrayanes, shallows pools of water captivated me. A fountain was feeding into these pools, creating soft trickling sounds. It made the space very calm and serene. The pools cooled the Patio, adding to the feeling of comfort and tranquillity. Feeling at ease, I observed the Islamic Architecture. The walls, overhangs and columns that surround the Patio are decorated with intricate patterns in the Islamic style. The water mirrors the detail of this paradise and reflects light into the lofty halls that flank it. The space was soothing, engaging and focused my attention to specific areas of the Alhambra.

I explored further the halls and stumbled upon the Court of the lions. Again, water focused my attention; two watercourses filled by two miniature waterspouts lead and pointed to a polygonal basin. This fountain demonstrates the mere genius and engineering qualities that form the Alhambra. Made in the 11th century the basin sits upon the backs of marble lions. Every hour, water spurts out of the mouth of each individual lion. The fountain is a clock, an indicator of every hour of the day. I realised that structure communicates ideas - in this case, it communicates time.

Above the court, there is the Hall of the Two Sisters or 'La Casa de las dos Hermanas'. The Hall is banded with fine verses, suggesting that the architecture has a story to tell. The narrative of the decoration intrigued me; the history and tales wondered the walls and roofs of the space.

Entering the hall I understood that the architecture represented the past, as well as time. It is an archive for those who move throughout the space.
appstudent1 1 / 2  
I can tell you truly have a passion for architecture, however, I think your essay would sound more developed if you explained exactly what features you recognized at Alhambra that changed your way of thinking. How did they change your views--- from what old perspective to what new one and why?

And in the second paragraph, what specific areas did the water focus your attention to?

Just be sure to link it back to yourself personally: how Alhambra's architecture has helped develop your sense of design and the effect it's had on you, rather than just explaining the beauty of it (and yes, it really is gorgeous!).

If you have time, I'd appreciate it if you could help read over my UT essay on eating locally! ^-^

Home / Undergraduate / How buildings influenced my thinking - UT architecture application